Benchmarking Various Linux Distributions With Amazon's EC2 Cloud In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Various Linux Distributions With Amazon's EC2 Cloud In 2017

Phoronix: Benchmarking Various Linux Distributions With Amazon's EC2 Cloud In 2017

After carrying out the recent Amazon EC2 Cloud benchmarks vs. Intel/AMD CPUs I also decided to run some Linux distribution tests in the Elastic Compute Cloud with not having done any such comparisons in a long time. So for those wondering how different Linux distributions compare in Amazon's cloud, this article is for you.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious, why was CentOS 7 not chosen? I'm not sure the difference between 6 and 7. We run 7 and I'd be curious to see how it compares.

Comment

How much this test cost running on AWS? IMHO EC2 instances are too expensive if you are using it 24/7, with the same monthly price you are better renting a physical machine or buying your own

Comment

The results fluctuate much less compared to when comparing Linux distributions / operating systems on bare metal hardware where the kernel has complete control, etc.
        In the past I found EC2 benchmarks way too inconsistent. Every time you launch a new instance you have different results.

Comment

A good reason for Mick to try a disto or two every month on Amazon, then, hey?

Interesting results. Keen to see them done again at some stage.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            In my opinion, the future is for almost every programmer/developer to own one or more remote machines (baremetal or virtualized).
            Or to have his own rig for compilation tucked somewhere in a closet.

Comment

Working...
            X