GNOME's JavaScript Component Will Be Seeing More Improvements For 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's JavaScript Component Will Be Seeing More Improvements For 3.26

Phoronix: GNOME's JavaScript Component Will Be Seeing More Improvements For 3.26

GJS -- the GNOME JavaScript system that allows for GObject introspection and other capabilities via JavaScript on the desktop -- is planning for further improvements with GNOME 3.26...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Possible typo, since I can't find this word in the blog post:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    One of their last ES6 features to support is nodules.
    Good night.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Possible typo, since I can't find this word in the blog post:

Good night.
      Yep, thanks, should be modules.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is great. ES6 classes is great, because now GJS uses their own weird class construct.

But there are not much documentation for writing gnome-shell extensions and often it ends up locking up / freezing gnome-shell, and there is really no good way to debug your extension. You can use Looking Glass, by Alt+F2 and type "lg" but it doesn't really provide any useful help.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is this javascript interpreter actually used for on the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            This is great. ES6 classes is great, because now GJS uses their own weird class construct.

But there are not much documentation for writing gnome-shell extensions and often it ends up locking up / freezing gnome-shell, and there is really no good way to debug your extension. You can use Looking Glass, by Alt+F2 and type "lg" but it doesn't really provide any useful help.
            I'm not a dev, but I seem to remember that in either 3.22 or 3.24 the GNOME devs added some construction in the code that would prevent locking up / freezing GNOME Shell. Correct me if my memory doesn't serve me right.

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
              Out of curiosity, what is this javascript interpreter actually used for on the desktop?
              Some GNOME Apps are written in (G)JS, and they use gjs interpreter to launch.

Comment

If GJS was Node.js + GObject what a wonderful world would be!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

support for Primises async operations
                  I think you meant Promises

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                    If GJS was Node.js + GObject what a wonderful world would be!
                    If popularity is good, perhaps they'll be a babel transformation. I think there is one for KDE/Qt with qmlify, something like that. Converts the node js system calls into ones that qml would use from memory while you write your JS in ES6+ and it's transpiled to what QML supports, ES5 I think?

Comment

Working...
                    X