Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Features Coming To Linux Mint's Cinnamon 3.4 Desktop

Phoronix: Some Of The Features Coming To Linux Mint's Cinnamon 3.4 Desktop

In the latest monthly progress report on Linux Mint, some of the upcoming changes for the GNOME3-forked Cinnamon Desktop Environment were shared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best desktop environment.

Comment

The best destop environment, beautiful, PC users focus, polished and non-bugged.

Comment

- Potentially: a desktop grid in Nemo.

Oh pleeeeeeease let this be true. The GNOME desktop has lacked a nice grid to keep icons aligned for way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Comment

I'm using Nemo because I dislike what has become Nautilus (but I'm not saying Nautilus is bad file explorer).
          A desktop grid? Like there is in Windows? If they do this, I hope it will be possible to turn it off. I like the current desktop comportment, I can place my desktop icons where I want.

I hope using more process in Nemo will avoid crashes (something, the Nemo window crashes, so my desktop icons disappear).

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
            I'm using Nemo because I dislike what has become Nautilus (but I'm not saying Nautilus is bad file explorer).
            A desktop grid? Like there is in Windows? If they do this, I hope it will be possible to turn it off. I like the current desktop comportment, I can place my desktop icons where I want.

I hope using more process in Nemo will avoid crashes (something, the Nemo window crashes, so my desktop icons disappear).
            The desktop has always been a *partial* grid, and you could never put icons where ever you wanted to. You can put them where ever you wanted to within set columns on your destkop, but not anywhere.

All the snap/organize features have only ever been one-time events, is the biggest problem. They have never implemented anything that ALWAYS keeps icons organized and/or aligned so that you can always read them and never have to worry about overlap. The "keep aligned" option is a joke and doesn't actually keep them aligned. I have no clue why someone would want their icons to smash into each other and overlap, making them useless, but to each their own. I just want an option for a grid that is always organized and sorted how I want it to be without having to click on "organize desktop by name" all the time.

Comment

I hope they do some performance improvements with the effects and everything, because cinnamon has become too sluggish lately. This is one of the reasons that I still prefer xfce and mate.

Originally posted by Swiftpaw View Post
              - Potentially: a desktop grid in Nemo.

Oh pleeeeeeease let this be true. The GNOME desktop has lacked a nice grid to keep icons aligned for way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

If they do that, I will leave xfce for cinnamon :P

Comment

Linux Mint 18.2 is abandoning their MDM display manager and switching to LightDM.
                Interesting. Does anyone know why?

Comment

The CJS (GJS forked JavaScript component) is being upgraded for better performance
                  Not getting this one. GJS is basically just an adaptation of the Mozilla javascript engine to the glib APIs... there's not much Gnome-specific about it, so it's a little hard to appreciate why Cinnamon would bother forking it. And I assume that the "upgrade" in question is just merging the changes announced by the upstream GJS developers last week, rather than repeating what I gather to have been a difficult upgrade on their own...

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Interesting. Does anyone know why?
                    Not the exact reason, but for more information, see:
                    Linux Mint is adopting the LightDM display manager to handle and authenticate user sessions. It'll be backed by a new Slick Greeter.

and:
                    Linux Mint 18.2 may ship with LightDM and Unity Greeter by default, replacing the current MDM login screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X