Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFQ I/O Scheduler Lands Along With New Kyber Scheduler

Phoronix: BFQ I/O Scheduler Lands Along With New Kyber Scheduler

We previously reported on the BFQ I/O scheduler finally set to land with the Linux 4.12 mainline kernel. That's now happened along with another new I/O scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For others, like me, wondering where this came from...

Comment

BFQ took years to land.. and this new Kyber comes from nowhere and lands at the same time? Can someone explain that?

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        BFQ took years to land.. and this new Kyber comes from nowhere and lands at the same time? Can someone explain that?
        They're both mq schedulers, before BFQ was to land mq did not support having schedulers, and BFQ was made for the previous system, so work was needed before it could land. Now that this work is done it's easier for others.

Comment

I compiled my kernel with support for BFQ

CONFIG_IOSCHED_BFQ=y
          CONFIG_BFQ_GROUP_IOSCHED=y

But I found no option to set it as the default like I can with other schedulers, and I don't see the option to change it from userspace through /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

What am I missing here?

Comment

Hm, so how does this multiqueue thing work? Can one just switch it on and expect things to work on current hardware?

Comment

Will this help with latency in file managers when copying files?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Hm, so how does this multiqueue thing work? Can one just switch it on and expect things to work on current hardware?
                Yes, but until 4.12 there will be no scheduling done (needed for spinning drives).

Will this help with latency in file managers when copying files?
                It should.

Comment

Paulo was very patient. He submitted his patches multiple times. Glad to see his much appreciated work getting more acceptance.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                    The former is not from a big company and the latter is. Whether people like it or not, if you're working for a big company you're likely to be treated differently.

Comment

Working...
                    X