Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Radeon ROCm 1.5

Phoronix: AMD Releases Radeon ROCm 1.5

ROCm 1.5 is now available from the Radeon Open Compute effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please make it fully open source.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It is fully open source other than OpenCL AFAIK, and we are continuing to work on opening up OpenCL.

Is there something else closed-source which I missed ?
      Last edited by bridgman; 03 May 2017, 01:24 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

It's now a 4.9 kernel: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...tree/roc-1.5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          It is fully open source other than OpenCL AFAIK, and we are continuing to work on opening up OpenCL.

bridgman Why does it take so long to open up OpenCL? I'm not holding hot pokers here but this step really is taking longer than I hoped so I'm hoping you can inform us as to why. Also, what's the status on axing the closed source hsail component? My google-fu wasn't strong enough to find the current situation and I'm not really sure where to find a "changelog" other than looking through the distributed commit histories... which I also tried and always ends as a time sink.

Comment

It is fully open source other than OpenCL AFAIK
            Which unfortunately is one of the most important pieces for the end user. Any ETA for OpenCL?
            ## VGA ##

Comment

Most boring thing i read on Phoronix is continuous asking AMD to opensource something every another day

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Most boring thing i read on Phoronix is continuous asking AMD to opensource something every another day
                It's simply full of peoples wanting to use their hardware. By the way their binaries are almost impossible to use unless you use distribution X at version Y where Y << Z (current version).
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Will ROCm eventually be usable with an upstream Kernel?
                  If it's true what bridgman said (all components are free software), there is no reason to not push everything in amdkfd upstream?

edit:

Maybe he was referring to that:
                  Originally posted by README.md

Closed source components

The ROCm platform relies on a few closed source components to provide legacy functionality like HSAIL finalization and debugging/profiling support. These components are only available through the ROCm repositories, and will either be deprecated or become open source components in the future. These components are made available in the following packages:
                  • hsa-ext-rocr-dev

Last edited by juno; 03 May 2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It's simply full of peoples wanting to use their hardware. By the way their binaries are almost impossible to use unless you use distribution X at version Y where Y << Z (current version).
                    So you are actually not interested in opensourcing it? I guess you will be fine with all blobs if it swim on Gentoo well

Comment

Working...
                    X