Skylane: A Wayland Implementation In Rust, Part of Perceptia Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylane: A Wayland Implementation In Rust, Part of Perceptia Project

Phoronix: Skylane: A Wayland Implementation In Rust, Part of Perceptia Project

While there have been Rust bindings and other Rust-Wayland projects in the past, they have ended up relying upon C language components. With a new project dubbed "Skylane", there's a full Wayland protocol implementation written within Rust...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand how such small amount of code can be an implementation of wayland...

Comment

Because wayland is a protocol, with an xml definition, which simply needs to be translated into c, or rust, or whatever codebase your project understands. Which is what this project does. Don't know if it's functioning as a compositor, or if they plan to in the future, but if it implements the whole protocol then it is an option in the future (just need to hook in the appropriate libraries and functions).

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        I don't understand how such small amount of code can be an implementation of wayland...
        because it is handling the wayland *protocol*

the compositor that takes the messages and does something with them is the perceptia repo

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
          Because wayland is a protocol, with an xml definition, which simply needs to be translated into c, or rust, or whatever codebase your project understands. Which is what this project does. Don't know if it's functioning as a compositor, or if they plan to in the future, but if it implements the whole protocol then it is an option in the future (just need to hook in the appropriate libraries and functions).
          Perceptia is aiming to be a compositor eventually.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

There's a "Skylake" typo in the article. I'd probably have done the same.

Comment

So why should I use this instead of sway?

Comment

You might use it if you like the idea of rust, or like their coding style, or like the way it's configured, or some other reason. Don't ask me, I don't even know why you might prefer sway (other than the reasons listed above for preferring this). They're called preferences for a reason.

Comment

A bit off topic, but does anyone know an Openbox clone for Wayland?

Comment

Looking forward to see the progress of this windowmanager, looks promising.

Comment

Working...
                    X