NVIDIA 375.66 Driver Released With Fixes, Official GTX 1080 Ti Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 375.66 Driver Released With Fixes, Official GTX 1080 Ti Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 375.66 Driver Released With Fixes, Official GTX 1080 Ti Support

NVIDIA has released the 375.66 proprietary driver update as their latest in the long-lived driver series branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have been keeping up with their development of PRIME Sync since last year and they're doing a great job and all. I like the developers and how they respond in their forums, but I can't help but worder how much work they would save if they had a working open source driver. PRIME offloading works without a hitch. Reverse prime does too. Meanwhile, they're spending a lot of time developing a closed source driver that, while awesome at OpenGL and vulkan, gives users nightmares when it comes to installing and configuring it.

Comment

Official GTX 1080 Ti Support
      I need to tell my friend, Tom Dickson , who works at blendtec about this!

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
        ... I like the developers and how they respond in their forums, but I can't help but worder how much work they would save if they had a working open source driver. ... Meanwhile, they're spending a lot of time developing a closed source driver that, while awesome at OpenGL and vulkan, gives users nightmares when it comes to installing and configuring it.
        Firstly, nvidia devs don't have direct control over company decisions such as "open sourcing", hell latest driver won't even work on newly released 4.11 kernel because their lawyers haven't allowed them to relicense nvidia kernel driver from MIT to GPL as is required for new refcount_t struct.

As to second part, not sure what you mean by having nightmares installing and configuring it, I myself don't find it particularly difficult and I'm former distro maintainer for the package.
        Distributions make it stupidly easy to install although sometimes they make some path modifications. For example gentoo has this whole libGL selection wrapper that breaks manual nvidia installer (or the other way around, nvidia installer breaks distro when you use it). As for configuration difficulties, I'm an old school user and if you think it's hard nowadays you should have seen how friendly it was in late 90's and early '00s :-]

Comment

I first install from synaptics and later updates directly from Nvidia about like:
          sudo service lightdm stop
          sudo ./Nvid*
          update? click yes
          sudo reboot

I had problems with ppa but never with the above.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
            As to second part, not sure what you mean by having nightmares installing and configuring it
            Anecdote which may not be the same as what andrebrait meant ...

I use Fedora FC25, and 26 is still just Alpha. FC25 had a recent-ish kernel update to 4.10 which breaks with nvidia 375. The RPMFusion non-free only has xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-375.39-3.fc25, and if I want the beta version 381 nvidia that's only for FC26 (xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-381.09-5.fc26).

*None* of this is the fault of Nvidia, but it shows the kind of gap between the OS folks and the hardware vendors. I wish using a proprietary driver didn't mean I risk having no graphical desktop just because I applied a standard OS kernel update. That sort of thing prevents me from ever recommending Linux to non-developers, while I get the singular joy of playing with modules to find what works

Ideally the RPM Fusion FC25 updates-testing would continue even when FC26 is in alpha, but there's a barren wasteland at http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...iew/index.html I guess they don't have the resources.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

Firstly, nvidia devs don't have direct control over company decisions such as "open sourcing", hell latest driver won't even work on newly released 4.11 kernel because their lawyers haven't allowed them to relicense nvidia kernel driver from MIT to GPL as is required for new refcount_t struct.
              I do hope there is an eventual solution to this. I am staying for now at the 4.9 LTS kernels.

Comment

Does anyone know, when this gets into Ubuntu 16.04 repository?

Comment

Which version of OpenGL does this driver support?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Topaz View Post
                    Which version of OpenGL does this driver support?
                    4.5 and the oldest hardware supported by this driver has opengl 4.5 support as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X