Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon 3.4 Desktop Environment Tagged

Phoronix: Cinnamon 3.4 Desktop Environment Tagged

Clement Lefebvre has tagged the Cinnamon 3.4.0 release ahead of the Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" OS update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they have CJS component? Everything else they forked I get, just why the Javascript translator?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      Why do they have CJS component? Everything else they forked I get, just why the Javascript translator?
      1. Javascript Interpreter
      2. Why wouldn't they? Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3. A feature of that particular platform is that it has Javascript bindings by default and that its usage is encouraged.

Comment

Already available via the PPA, neat.

Comment

Yet another great release!
          What i love about this desktop is that every version improves upon the previous without ever trying to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

1. Javascript Interpreter
            2. Why wouldn't they? Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3. A feature of that particular platform is that it has Javascript bindings by default and that its usage is encouraged.
            They still didn't need to fork GJS. it's just a glib javascript library. It doesn't have any gnome-desktop specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
              They still didn't need to fork GJS. it's just a glib javascript library. It doesn't have any gnome-desktop specifics.
              They probably did "just in case" upstream GNOME decided to change stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                They probably did "just in case" upstream GNOME decided to change stuff.
                That seems a little silly. That's like forking gtk just in case. I'm sure there is a more underlining reason, such as when they forked mutter into "muffin".

Comment

The primary reason is that because it is so critical to Cinnamon's operation, we need it to update on our schedule, not your distro's. It was originally 'forked' because jumping to the newer version at the time it was released would prevent us from backporting new Cinnamon versions to Mint 13 (I think we had one more release cycle we wanted to get to it) This isn't really a huge issue with Mint distros anymore, but it can become a big one with the cool distros like Arch and Fedora, etc... over time, as a consequence of us doing this, there have been a small number of Cinnamon-specific changes to its behavior as well that we've gotten used to having. Nothing major - Cinnamon will run on GJS with just a very few minor changes. But even though it doesn't have anything specific to gnome in it, it shares its release schedule with Gnome, and, as such, cannot be relied upon.

Comment

I keep hearing people should abandon ubuntu for mint. If anyone feels that way then can I recommend my survival guide ebooks I have written for new mint 17/18 users? http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bash64

Comment

Working...
                    X