Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 1.0 RC2 Released: Systemd-Free Debian

Phoronix: Devuan 1.0 RC2 Released: Systemd-Free Debian

Just a short time after last month's Devuan 1.0 RC1 debut, the second release candidate of this systemd-free version of Debian is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Got only tasksel update, but i have installed Devuan pretty minimal - just Openbox and stuff.
    Last edited by dungeon; 05 May 2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Jees, three major desktop UIs all dependant on systemd, not just 'able to use'.
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Software that exposes useful functionality always runs the risk of having it's API used.

Comment

But don't those desktop environments work on *BSDs with no systemd? They should work just like that on Devuan too.

Comment

Considering all three of those DE's (I interchange all the UI stuff. Bad habit) USED to support 'other' systems, what happened? Is it really that hard to test against?
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              Where you see three? I dunno when Cinnamon became major

Comment

why is Debian logo attached to this article?
                why not write news about 100 other Debian derivatives that have more users and developers than Devuan?

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post
                  Software that exposes useful functionality always runs the risk of having it's API used.
                  I'm not so sure that a replacement for init is the right place for this functionality... I seriously hope the eyebrow raising over by a desktop environment having a dependency relationship this pronounced with an init system isn't lost on you.

However I guess this is proof that we truly are moving towards the horror scenario where GNU/Linux becomes SystemD/Linux and where SystemD slowly replaces or just absorbs the whole operating system...
                  Last edited by L_A_G; 05 May 2017, 08:00 AM.

Comment

"Besides fixes, Devuan 1.0 RC2 does remove GNOME, KDE, and Cinnamon desktop options from the task selection due to these environments running into glitches without systemd."

It's in tje ppst for whoch you are now reading. I just pasted and quoted it. It's also in the Debian release notes Michael also supplied in the post.

Although the DEs are still installable.
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X