Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 550 Linux Benchmarks: $89 Polaris GPU On Open-Source

Phoronix: Radeon RX 550 Linux Benchmarks: $89 Polaris GPU On Open-Source

For those curious how AMD's sub-$100 "Polaris 12" graphics processors perform in the context of the recently-launched Radeon RX 550, here are some benchmarks of this low-end graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

rx 460 still perfroms badly

Comment

On the NVIDIA side was the 387.13 driver release.
      This should probably say 378.13. There is no 387.13 (yet).

Comment

I hope Vega turns things around. Otherwise it seems right now there's no reason to buy AMD graphics cards. They're just more expensive and less working, including glitches like this mesa bug. Nvidia is closed source but at least for me was rock solid on a couple of different distroes over the past 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
          I hope Vega turns things around. Otherwise it seems right now there's no reason to buy AMD graphics cards. They're just more expensive and less working, including glitches like this mesa bug. Nvidia is closed source but at least for me was rock solid on a couple of different distroes over the past 5 years.
          So I just finished benchmarking my r9 380 on windows and it's only 100 points or so better when using opengl, that's without the mesa devs seeing what they can do. The open support isn't going all that badly

I will admit though that the last couple of releases AMD have lagged behind nvidia in terms of mid range performance, but they have priced their cards fairly well against the competition.

Comment

If only they had at least one model with 3 x displayport outputs...

Who cares about last ounce of performance and Watt, when there are nice open source drivers.
            This is why I always lean toward AMD and prefer them, wherever they have adequate offer.

It's smallest and cheapest Polaris, and with nice monitor outputs and open-source driver it could be preferable choice for many with multi-monitor-setup.

Comment

Basically this Polaris 12 is a direct replacement for the aging Cape Verde GCN1, which has been used throughout 7750, 250E, 350, 450, all having 512 shaders. It would have been fun to see a direct comparison with a HD 7750 to see the speed gains for the generational update.
              @Michael: didn't you get a HD 7750 at some point?

Comment

What are the figures for Pascal Open Source?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  If only they had at least one model with 3 x displayport outputs...

Who cares about last ounce of performance and Watt, when there are nice open source drivers.
                  This is why I always lean toward AMD and prefer them, wherever they have adequate offer.

It's smallest and cheapest Polaris, and with nice monitor outputs and open-source driver it could be preferable choice for many with multi-monitor-setup.
                  More than two monitors is considered professional... that said if you have money for 4 monitors then WX 4100 is conidered cheap:

Why you want cheapest consumer thing to drive many monitors i dunno, that would be of course something very special so professional line covers that

Comment

@dungeon:

key word being "considered"

Comment

Working...
                    X