Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamVR Dashboard On Linux Now Supports Desktop View

Phoronix: SteamVR Dashboard On Linux Now Supports Desktop View

Valve continues maturing their SteamVR Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice...
    How long can you use the VR before getting nauseous Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
      Nice...
      How long can you use the VR before getting nauseous Michael?
      I'm pretty sure both Valve and Occulus solved the hardware part of that with the original Vive and Rift.

Comment

Maybe a 3D GNOME desktop?

Maybe there can be depth to applications?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

I'm pretty sure both Valve and Occulus solved the hardware part of that with the original Vive and Rift.
          Ok... So how long can you use VR before getting nauseous?

Comment

Ok... So how long can you use VR before getting nauseous?
            It really depends on the game and how sensitive you are to getting car sick (it's exactly the same effect). Both of these can cause some pretty big variations so a badly designed game with a sensitive person can lead to nausea pretty quickly, but with well designed games even sensitive people (like myself) can play for hours without feeling the least bit queasy. Thankfully most games are well designed and badly designed ones aren't generally even let onto the market places because of causing nausea.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

It really depends on the game and how sensitive you are to getting car sick (it's exactly the same effect). Both of these can cause some pretty big variations so a badly designed game with a sensitive person can lead to nausea pretty quickly, but with well designed games even sensitive people (like myself) can play for hours without feeling the least bit queasy. Thankfully most games are well designed and badly designed ones aren't generally even let onto the market places because of causing nausea.
              Ok...
              Well i never get car sick, but i can't play more than 15 min before getting nauseous with VR.
              Maybe i'm just getting old

Comment

Ok...
                Well i never get car sick, but i can't play more than 15 min before getting nauseous with VR.
                The headset and game matter significantly. I get motion sick very quickly in mobile phone VR but I can play on my Vive for hours and it has no effect. What headsets and games have you tried that make you sick?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Maybe a 3D GNOME desktop?

Maybe there can be depth to applications?
                  Damn, I miss this feature, that was really useful to select just the right object, or diagnose issues with the window.

Now, a couple of things:
                  1 - pics or it didn't happen
                  2 - I can imagine how awesome that would be with virtual desktops. Heck, you could actually hold your desktop cube
                  3 - When will we see a VR compositor? I still want my "Zion control room" !

Edit: And wobbly windows! Let's show Martin what the land of wobbly windows really is!

Comment

Ok...
                    I've tried Samsungs attachment, Google cardboard, Rift(dev unit), Vive. Only with the Vive did I not feel disoriented, the others within a minute or less of use hurt my eyes, with the Vive I was able to play a game for quite a while(Valves The Lab), that said I'd only used 360 content on the other headsets, and some linux sdk demo room for the rift. The Rift might be better these days with it's commercial unit(and content, didn't get to try it with The Lab), the Vive has a little wheel you can use to adjust if you feel negative effects.

Comment

Working...
                    X