Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForce Experience Picks Up OpenGL/Vulkan Support, Linux Up Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce Experience Picks Up OpenGL/Vulkan Support, Linux Up Next?

Phoronix: GeForce Experience Picks Up OpenGL/Vulkan Support, Linux Up Next?

NVIDIA's gaming software, GeForce Experience, now has support for OpenGL and Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would you be interested in seeing GeForce Experience on Linux?
    Not really. Especially if it requires/encourages registration.

What do you use right now for your Linux game streaming and screenshots?
    FFmpeg, jack_capture and KSnapshot.

Comment

I'd love game streaming on Linux. Moonlight is one of my most used apps on my Pixel.

Comment

Oh god, please no. Just recently I tried installing Nvidia drivers for another persons' desktop machine that had some issues, but was prompted with a bloody login screen before I could even install the drivers. I simply didn't install the drivers, there's no way I'm logging into someone else's computer with my shit.

Comment

I'd use it personally. Nvidia's encoder has basically 0 performance impact and is much nicer than using FFMPEG or OBS. The autoconfiguration for games is handy also, though I'd rather see some of the Windows driver's GUI configuration options moved over for easier per-game control of settings like AA/AF/Vsync/Gsync/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
            Oh god, please no. Just recently I tried installing Nvidia drivers for another persons' desktop machine that had some issues, but was prompted with a bloody login screen before I could even install the drivers. I simply didn't install the drivers, there's no way I'm logging into someone else's computer with my shit.
            I'm not sure what login screen greeted you, the Nvidia driver doesn't require login to install.

That said, I don't understand why GFE is bundled with the drivers on Windows, it wouldn't make more sense for me on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm not sure what login screen greeted you, the Nvidia driver doesn't require login to install.

That said, I don't understand why GFE is bundled with the drivers on Windows, it wouldn't make more sense for me on Linux.
              This Geforce login screen.

Can you still install the drivers without Geforce experience? I thought Nvidia removed that option last year, thus forcing everyone who installs the drivers to identify themselves with an account.

Comment

Does that also mean that they finally added support for G-Sync to Vulkan?

Comment

Can you still install the drivers without Geforce experience? I thought Nvidia removed that option last year, thus forcing everyone who installs the drivers to identify themselves with an account.
                  Of course you can skip GFE. Just don't hit next, next, next in the installer. Select custom install and it lets you select items to install (I don't install 3D Vision and GFE, for example).

Comment

Yes, you aren't required to log in to anything to install the driver. Just don't select to install GFE.

Comment

Working...
                    X