Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven Ridge, VCN Decode Support Patches Posted For Gallium3D

Phoronix: Raven Ridge, VCN Decode Support Patches Posted For Gallium3D

Following the 117 patches adding 314k lines of code to AMDGPU for enabling the next-generation "Raven Ridge" Zen+Vega APU within the AMDGPU DRM driver, Raven support patches have emerged for the RadeonSI driver, including support for the new VCN video block...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This APU might be the go-to solution for a future Laptop. With 4C/8T Ryzen (MK II ?) and the GPU equal to the RX 560, this will be a fine mobile device for standard workloads, traveling and some smaller games. Might grab a laptop for my parents.

Comment

200k lines of driver code for specifying registers sounds crazy. And a total of 314k lines? Is there a lot of code duplication happening? Or does that include changed/deleted lines as well?

Comment

First of all: Michael why is this topic created under 'Linux Graphics / X.Org Drivers- > NVIDIA Linux' category ?

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
        This APU might be the go-to solution for a future Laptop. With 4C/8T Ryzen (MK II ?) and the GPU equal to the RX 560, this will be a fine mobile device for standard workloads, traveling and some smaller games. Might grab a laptop for my parents.

From my understanding, this seems to be a Desktop APU as it doesn't have the 'AMD_IS_MOBILITY' attribute set.
        https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...e696a894c#n469

I'm also eager to buy a laptop that would incorporate both of the latest technologies Ryzen + Vega. Not sure how far in future is that going to be available.

Comment

me too. all eyes set on this. Off topic: i wish they had dual socket end-user ryzen though (thinking of a 16-core/32thread personal lab workhorse). But probably this market is quite small. They would rather just stick to naples and the server market.

Comment

So this VCN is the new UVD? Or is it a combined term for UVD+VCE?
            Either way it's exciting to see Raven Ridge coming up on the horizon. Not sure what the roadmap said, if laptop / mobile APUs come first, then desktop, but I really hope that we'll finally see some decent AMD based laptops. I mean, good IPS panel with a resolution that is better than this 1366x768 and with a good keyboards (key touch feeling, layout, real F-keys, real cursor keys, separate PgUp/Dn/Home/End/PrtScr(SysRq)), battery runtime and interfaces. And libre*/coreboot preinstalled... oh, well, I'm starting to lift off.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
              me too. all eyes set on this. Off topic: i wish they had dual socket end-user ryzen though (thinking of a 16-core/32thread personal lab workhorse). But probably this market is quite small. They would rather just stick to naples and the server market.
              They are releasing a 16C/32T single-socket HEDT platform though. AMD Whitehaven.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post

They are releasing a 16C/32T single-socket HEDT platform though. AMD Whitehaven.
                Hope that is true like other ryzen leaks before. If it is i am definitely buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                  From my understanding, this seems to be a Desktop APU as it doesn't have the 'AMD_IS_MOBILITY' attribute set.
                  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...e696a894c#n469

I'm also eager to buy a laptop that would incorporate both of the latest technologies Ryzen + Vega. Not sure how far in future is that going to be available.
                  Oh, oops. Well, dropping the voltages to a mobile level might do the trick - of course with "slightly" lower frequencies. ^_^

But well spotted, I thought it might double as a mobile APU too.

Comment

Working...
                  X