Marek Threads RadeonSI Gallium3D, Big Performance Gains For Many Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Threads RadeonSI Gallium3D, Big Performance Gains For Many Games

Phoronix: Marek Threads RadeonSI Gallium3D, Big Performance Gains For Many Games

Not to be confused with the recently-landed OpenGL threaded dispatch support that recently landed in Mesa Git, Marek Olšák has now published a set of patches for threading Gallium3D for RadeonSI: moving the execution of all Gallium3D pipe_context calls into a separate CPU thread...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The performance improvement isn't very high
    +~12% on most games mentioned seems pretty good, thank you Marek!

Comment

This threaded Gallium3D code also benefits GtkPerf and X11 performance too with GLAMOR, leading up to double digit percentage improvements.
      Ah, then does not sound right to be enabled by default as this will eat battery faster... i mean for laptop Radeon users

Didn't checked, but i assume more CPU is used and also GPU, so shorter battery time

Esspecially if it is true that on older kernels goes actually into opposite direction so user get degraded performance
      Last edited by dungeon; 10 May 2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Ah, then does not sound right to be enabled by default as this will eat battery faster... i mean for laptop Radeon users

Didn't checked, but i assume more CPU is used and also GPU, so shorter battery time

Esspecially if it is true that on older kernels goes actually into opposite direction so user get degraded performance
        Could it also mean that more performance means the CPU spends less time in a higher performance state (and possibly GPU too)? so less time at higher power draw == more battery life?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Could it also mean that more performance means the CPU spends less time in a higher performance state (and possibly GPU too)? so less time at higher power draw == more battery life?
          I don't know yet how this looks like in practice, didn't tried it. What benchmarks likes, some users might not if it comes with these expences somewhere else, you know

Of course it is hard to measure what average user do, so some might like this and some might not... just sounds to me (so it is a guess) battery time will be shorter with this if enabled by default of course
          Last edited by dungeon; 10 May 2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I don't know yet how this looks like in practice, didn't tried it. What benchmarks likes, some users might not if it comes with these expences somewhere else, you know

Of course it is hard to measure what average user do, so some might like this and some might not... just sounds to me (so it is a guess) battery time will be shorter with this if enabled by default of course
            I guess we both need to see some empirical evidence then!

Comment

It shouldn't hurt battery life if you have vsync on.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                Yeah, as long as it's limited to 60 fps then the faster the GPU goes the better for power use. You just don't want to see things start rendering at 500 fps instead of 450 fps.

Comment

My gaming laptop has an unplugged mode that limits itself to 30 fps. If I turn that off it is quite likely to hit the system power limit. It already tries to burn itself up using about 60 W. That's in Windows.

It'd be nice if Linux had a way to set a system wide FPS limit for battery savings. All the way down to 20.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    He, he, that sounds to me like "we are allowed to screw things up by design because of clause how our users should have G-Sync or FreeSync monitor and appropriate card"
                    Last edited by dungeon; 11 May 2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X