Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft .NET Core 2.0 Preview Brings Better Linux Support

Phoronix: Microsoft .NET Core 2.0 Preview Brings Better Linux Support

Microsoft used its Build 2017 conference for rolling out the first public preview of .NET Core 2.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The .NET Framework and the .NET Core Framework are amazing, I love it!
    I love coding in C# on the .NET framework.

I would love to see GObject Introspection (GI) bindings for .NET Core to be able to utilize GTK+, GDK and GLib on the .NET stack.

Comment

In before people turn "better linux support" into Microsoft somehow being evil.

(20 points to the first person to mention Embrace, Extend, Extinguish).

Comment

Still no Visual Studio (full IDE, not that funny VS Code) on Linux. Writing on Windows for Linux? Thanks, but no.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
          Still no Visual Studio (full IDE, not that funny VS Code) on Linux. Writing on Windows for Linux? Thanks, but no.
          Yea. No. Pass.

Visual Studio "proper" is a horrible IDE. Bloated, slow, resource hungry.
          I take Visual Studio Code over that behemoth every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Yea. No. Pass.

You're right, but I was talking about .Net development. Linux has good IDE's for C++, Java and other languages, but for C# or .Net there are little problems with it.

Comment

Probably still better than any other text editor / IDE on Linux.

With VS Code things just work. In Atom sometimes you have to manually download system packages and configure stuff to get things working.
              JavaScript linting was messy to get working.
              I've had the Python linter end up with zombie processes and slowing down my system.

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
              VS 2017 is more modular so it is less bloated. Example if you want only do Python you can install VS with that only, and then you can't do C# and stuff.
              Pure VS is not so slow and bloated. But yeah, I've experienced problems when using it together with Team Foundation Services (TFS) / Visual Studio Online (VSO) and third-party extensions. Sometimes it stalls, locks up, freezes.
              Off-topic: here is a extension for improving code. SonarLint, it is open source.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Probably still better than any other text editor / IDE on Linux.
                I think you need some more Jetbrains IDE action in your life.

Comment

very happy with VS Code in Unity3d. Full VS would slow my workflow.

Comment

It already happened for Mac, and according to Icaza on twitter, they hope to do it for linux too.

Comment

Working...
                    X