Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Golang Update Lands In GCC 8.0

Phoronix: A Big Golang Update Lands In GCC 8.0

Now that GCC 7 was released as stable last week, the GCC trunk/master code-base is back open for merging more feature work with the beginning of the GCC 8 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can GCC really improve on the simplicity of "go tool ..."?

Edit: Come to think about it, maybe the goal is not to improve, but to accommodate Go in multilanguage projects that already use GCC.
    Last edited by bug77; 11 May 2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

> Golang

The language's name is "Go". Please don't let silly SEO logic affect texts that are meant for human consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Edit: Come to think about it, maybe the goal is not to improve, but to accommodate Go in multilanguage projects that already use GCC.
        I think that you've hit on the answer to the question that I've wondered for a while. I've written some decent amount of Go and never considered using GCC's compiler. I've always just used the binary distribution of their compiler. As I said, I've often wondered why anyone would use the GCC compiler but your comment seems to make sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That and GCC has a lot more possible compiler options / knobs to twiddle. could get some decent performance / binary size differences

Comment

With GCC you can compile for architectures not supported by the go tool, like mipsel last I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkinsw View Post

I think that you've hit on the answer to the question that I've wondered for a while. I've written some decent amount of Go and never considered using GCC's compiler. I've always just used the binary distribution of their compiler. As I said, I've often wondered why anyone would use the GCC compiler but your comment seems to make sense to me.
              One good reason is performance. GCC generates much faster code.

Comment

Originally posted by stefantalpalaru View Post
                > Golang

The language's name is "Go". Please don't let silly SEO logic affect texts that are meant for human consumption.
                golang is easier to google.

Originally posted by jacob View Post

One good reason is performance. GCC generates much faster code.
                More then performance, comparative performance profiling can help fleshing out issues in the go compiler that aren't immediately obvious. Similarly, gcc benefits from another point of reference to compare against.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

golang is easier to google.

More then performance, comparative performance profiling can help fleshing out issues in the go compiler that aren't immediately obvious. Similarly, gcc benefits from another point of reference to compare against.
                  Yes that too. And generally speaking it's good for the language to have two independently developed compilers. It ensures that it's properly defined by a spec, not by a single implementation. I wish Rust had that too.

Comment

I am interested to see gcc-go in mingw family.

Comment

Working...
                    X