Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westfield: Wayland For HTML5/JavaScript

Phoronix: Westfield: Wayland For HTML5/JavaScript

Westfield is a new independent project that provides a Wayland protocol XML parser and generator for JavaScript...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are the implications of this to give me the ability to share Window/Desktop buffers over webRTC so I can share my desktop in the browser? If so, that could be really handy for things like Slack and Matrix/Riot.

Comment

I don't really understand the point of this - why not just let the web browser deal with the rendering? I'd think that would be more efficient, while being less niche.

Also wondering why they chose Westfield for a name. Wayland and Weston are neighboring towns in Massachusetts, but Westfield is many miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        but Westfield is many miles away.
        It's almost like browsers were intended for doing things many miles away from their document sources... :P

Comment

Developer Erik De Rijcke announced Westfield as a "nearly fully compatible on the wire with the existing libwayland implementation", but libwayland is for C while Westfield is for JavaScript. Communication with Westfield is done using WebSockets.

Developer Erik De Rijcke announced Westfield as a "nearly fully compatible on the wire with the existing libwayland implementation", but libwayland is for C while Westfield is JavaScript on client side and server-side is Java.
          Which is it? PLEASE get an editor, you doing everything yourself is working yourself to death and making things fall through the cracks.

Comment

faildozer I think that might be it. Sounds like you could use it for remote desktop or VNC like purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I don't really understand the point of this - why not just let the web browser deal with the rendering? I'd think that would be more efficient, while being less niche.

Also wondering why they chose Westfield for a name. Wayland and Weston are neighboring towns in Massachusetts, but Westfield is many miles away.
              It might be for Node.js. It might be nifty to be able to run graphical desktop apps without a clunky browser layer. Right now those things like Atom or VS Code have to run in their own hacked up copies of Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

It might be for Node.js. It might be nifty to be able to run graphical desktop apps without a clunky browser layer. Right now those things like Atom or VS Code have to run in their own hacked up copies of Chromium.
                Point of atom is that webdevs could make desktop software while avoiding learning proper ways of desktop software development. They are stuck in their js/html/css world. It already is easier to use Qt than making app with electron with that mess of ecosystem javascript is. If you took away html and css then what would be the point in using js on node? It would get infinitely more complex for no gain.

Comment

Nice! With gtk+ 4.x most likely dropping their HTML5 backend, and Wayland not having built-in network transparency like X did, this would be an interesting approach for remote access to Linux apps.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                    Nice! With gtk+ 4.x most likely dropping their HTML5 backend, and Wayland not having built-in network transparency like X did a very long time ago, this would be an interesting approach for remote access to Linux apps.
                    Fixed.

And I'm pretty sure it's for running/rendering local stuff, not for remote access.

Unless you make a whole DE with web technologies so it is basically a website, and in such case you can access it from wherever.

Comment

Working...
                    X