Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VK9 Direct3D-Over-Vulkan Begins Hitting More Advanced Milestones

Phoronix: VK9 Direct3D-Over-Vulkan Begins Hitting More Advanced Milestones

The VK9 hobbyist project implementing Direct3D 9 over the Vulkan graphics API is beginning to reach the more challenging milestones...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This cool little project keeps getting better and better!

Comment

Is there a link somewhere to the actual list of milestones? Without that, gauging the progress of the project from news like this is basically impossible …

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
        Is there a link somewhere to the actual list of milestones? Without that, gauging the progress of the project from news like this is basically impossible …
        VK9 - Direct3D 9 compatibility layer using Vulkan.

Comment

At which milestone it will be able to run any existing app? Like "the least requiring app is XYZ, will be able to run at milestone N"

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            At which milestone it will be able to run any existing app? Like "the least requiring app is XYZ, will be able to run at milestone N"
            It probably never will run apps. They're locked to android/ios/windows8/10. You'll run programs.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              This cool little project keeps getting better and better!
              Not to break your spirit, but I do have to disagree. The only way this is ever going to turn out good is if it is fully compatible and performs at the speed of the DirectX-over-OpenGL implementation of WINE. So for it to become a success does it need a lot more support from the community.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Each milestone is a sample application. As for games 21 it will support lighting and by 25 it will have sprite support, i think that would mark the point where it will begin to be able to run some basic games. By 30 it should get decent and then by 39 i would expect some modern games to start running.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Not to break your spirit, but I do have to disagree. The only way this is ever going to turn out good is if it is fully compatible and performs at the speed of the DirectX-over-OpenGL implementation of WINE. So for it to become a success does it need a lot more support from the community.
                  Support from the community will certainly be important but I'd say the performance will have to be better than Wine's implementation for it to catch on. There is allot of work ahead before it can go head to head with Wine's implementation but all signs point to it having better performance and more consistent behavior across hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    I beg to differ. This *is* a cool project - This guy is scratching an itch and who cares if it turns out to be useful or not. if it does, then that is an extra bonus.

if he gets it to the point where you *can* play games on it - I agree that it is not going to be at the same level as a native driver on windows - but remember - this is DX9. you don't exactly need to have native performance - who needs 600fps? at most you need 144fps and most people would be happy with 60fps.

If it does prove to be a good and useful tool and better than Wine's OpenGL implementation - it might have a chance in wine - it all depends on what can be done with Metal on OS X

Comment

Working...
                    X