Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's FESCo Is Okay With Fedora 26 In The Windows Store

Phoronix: Fedora's FESCo Is Okay With Fedora 26 In The Windows Store

At Microsoft's Build 2017 Conference this week they announced plans to bring Ubuntu, SUSE, and Fedora to the Windows Store. This would make it easier to deploy these Linux distributions on their Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in an easier manner than currently...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about a compressed file containing the Fedora image and some script to prepare it instead?

That way it could be deployed to many offline machines properly and not have to fsck around with *legacy* (cr)app stores.

Comment

Wow, Linux is pulling a EEE on WIndows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Wow, Linux is pulling a EEE on WIndows.
        My paranoia tells me that we should wait to see if Microsoft decides to add any not-present-on-Linux features to WSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
          My paranoia tells me that we should wait to see if Microsoft decides to add any not-present-on-Linux features to WSL.
          Sure they can try, but the only thing they get is that someone will make WSL-only linux distros. More distros for the distro god, everyone else is unaffected.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Sure they can try, but the only thing they get is that someone will make WSL-only linux distros. More distros for the distro god, everyone else is unaffected.
            It already has the only not-present-on-Linux feature that matters - it runs Windows applications. The risk for Linux is that Windows + WSL becomes a preferred OS for any developer who has to work cross platform.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
              It already has the only not-present-on-Linux feature that matters - it runs Windows applications. The risk for Linux is that Windows + WSL becomes a preferred OS for any developer who has to work cross platform.
              Anything that helps devs to make decent cross-platform applications is positive for me. Especially if made in Qt.

Comment

Does this WSL layer help wine development?

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post

The risk for Linux is that it might become a fact that it will only be runnable from within Windows, in a future not that far away.

We'll see.

Comment

I don't think you can run GUI apps on WSL - atleast, not according to Wikipedia. AFAIK it's just for command line tools, and maybe server software.

Comment

Working...
                    X