Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android O Developer Preview 2 Released, Android Go Announced

Phoronix: Android O Developer Preview 2 Released, Android Go Announced

To no surprise, there's plenty of Android news at Google's I/O 2017 conference that kicked off today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm very interested in Android Go.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'm very interested in Android Go.
      They've already has something like that for ages: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/low-ram

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        They've already has something like that for ages: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/low-ram
        Yeah, and stock firmwares didn't enable nor tune even 1/3 of that.

Truth to be said, while many features from it are/were in custom ROMs, they don't usually come pre-configured, so sure I have now 300 settings and switches with like one-line of documentation each.

I had a 512MB device, where the actual RAM was like 380-ish because statically allocated buffers for various other hardware, and there were custom ROMs using KitKat offering low-mem feature. Lo and behold, it ran (far) better Android ICS (4.0) than KitKat with low-ram on.

I also like that Store will prioritize slim apps for Android Go (hint: you can fool it on other rooted devices to make sure it offers you lighter apps with higher priority)

Comment

As soon as this part of the keynote came up, I completely thought this is where they were going to debut Fuchsia

Comment

starshipeleven The problem I see is this new Android Go will be ignored, just like every other feature Google put in developer's hands. So I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

starshipeleven The problem I see is this new Android Go will be ignored, just like every other feature Google put in developer's hands. So I'll believe it when I see it.
              I assume that they plan to ship this in their next waves of Android One devices (local OEM "makes" phone, Google makes firmware), that are usually on the low side on the hardware because they are for emerging markets and must keep prices low. For example last year there were new Android One devices with 512MB of RAM for north africa and arabian markets.

Of course it's not going to show up in EU/USA because everyone here can pay 200$ or more for a phone.

Also, having a baseline at least set would allow to have custom ROMs with Android Go, as it's just a "port hardware support blobs" job.

Comment

I fear Android Go will never take off. If it will, people will start realizing that's the Android to have, not the monstrosity we have today that rivals a full-blown Win10 install if you look at the space on disk it takes. But then again, I have a tendency to root for minimalistic. Except for my DE, where it's KDE or bust :P

Comment

I fear Android Go will never take off. If it will, people will start realizing that's the Android to have, not the monstrosity we have today that rivals a full-blown Win10 install if you look at the space on disk it takes. But then again, I have a tendency to root for minimalistic. Except for my DE, where it's KDE or bust :P
                  KDE users touting minimalism? I've heard it all now!

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post

KDE users touting minimalism? I've heard it all now!
                    It's just a preference of mine. I appreciate the simplicity of the CLI, but I do have a thing for a fully fledged desktop environment. Especially since I pay $200+ for my video card.

The world is not black and white, but not everybody gets that. That's why I seem to detect a trend where KDE/Qt users have no problem with Gnome/GTK, but Gnome/GTK users tend to troll KDE/Qt threads like there's no tomorrow. For them, it's black or white. Their way or the highway.

Edit: I want to emphasise again "I seem to detect a trend". As in more Gnome/GTX users seem to do that. I'm not saying all Gnome/GTK users do that or that no KDE/Qt users will do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X