Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBports Continues Plotting To Keep Ubuntu Touch Alive

Phoronix: UBports Continues Plotting To Keep Ubuntu Touch Alive

The UBports developers continue firming up plans for their fork of Ubuntu Touch following the news last month of dropping Unity 8 / Ubuntu Touch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Their latest milestone is raising $1,000 USD via Patreon to finance one full-time developer to work on the project.
    For how long? A skilled, experienced developer earns that much in about a week. 2 weeks maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

For how long? A skilled, experienced developer earns that much in about a week. 2 weeks maybe.
      Where I live, 1K dollar worth a month of a good programmer

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        there are many experienced and skilled developers that would work for 1k a month if it is something they like. Especially in OpenSource where all your work can be clearly seen by companies that might one day hire you.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          there are many experienced and skilled developers that would work for 1k a month if it is something they like. Especially in OpenSource where all your work can be clearly seen by companies that might one day hire you.
          And if they're a privileged member of the idle rich so they don't need t o worry about feeding, clothing, and sheltering themselves or their families. For the rest of us, $1000 is about enough for one bugfix. Experience and skill tell you you don't ever work for free.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
            And if they're a privileged member of the idle rich so they don't need t o worry about feeding, clothing, and sheltering themselves or their families. For the rest of us, $1000 is about enough for one bugfix. Experience and skill tell you you don't ever work for free.
            I said that many will take it if they like the job, not that it is an acceptable minimum wage for a good developer with a family living in a First World country that probably has a job paying ten times as much already.

Comment

Looks like Mark did it wrong, $1,000/mo to him is chump change and he could have had people from places where it was a lot work very diligently for it and still give wiggle room for them to carve their own details into his basic vision.

Maybe operating a company in the heart of London with high salaries wasn't an intelligent financial maneuver after all.

$120,000 a year at 1k/month could get you 10 engineers in the right places.

The whole point of money in the programming world is to take the issue of money off the table so the engineers can focus their mental energies on the technical tasks at hand without interference.
              Last edited by ElectricPrism; 18 May 2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Where I live, 1K dollar worth a month of a good programmer
                where do you live? and why can't you work remotely?

Comment

I would be willing to invest in this project, but not donate. The thing I don't like about Canonical is that everything has to be free of charge. I don't see the value in that. You can see what happens when people don't rely on income. Someone gets married and doesn't have time anymore. On the other hand, very few people quit their jobs because they're getting married.

It's a good project, if they aim to be a sustainable business. It doesn't take much. If you have ten thousand users who can pay ten dollars per year, then you can have a small number of developers working part time. Then you grow the software and you grow the business. There are lots of people who would pay ten dollars per year for their phone and desktop.

I really don't think most people trust people who beg for donations. They trust people who rely on their income. Gather competent people who are interested, make a business plan, get some investors, work on the project and sell. Not, beg. Sell. If you're not willing to do that, then I really don't think you'll succeed.

Comment

Even for a first world country 1k/month isn't chump change.
                    Some people receive less in unemployment benefits. When I was unemployed for 4 months following my graduation, I would've taken a programming job like that right away.

Comment

Working...
                    X