No announcement yet.

GeForce GT 1030 Will Work With NVIDIA 381 Linux Driver, Good Luck With Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce GT 1030 Will Work With NVIDIA 381 Linux Driver, Good Luck With Nouveau

Phoronix: GeForce GT 1030 Will Work With NVIDIA 381 Linux Driver, Good Luck With Nouveau

This week NVIDIA released the GeForce GT 1030 as their newest low-end Pascal card. The GT 1030 cards retail for around $70 USD and you can find them in a low-profile version with some cards even being passively cooled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a world leading gaming brand, MSI is the most trusted name in gaming and eSports. We stand by our principles of breakthroughs in design, and roll out the amazing gaming gear like motherboards, graphics cards, laptops and desktops.

Can you please test the MSI card since it's the only one with DisplayPort 1.4 output port?

Check out the latest NVIDIA GeForce technology specifications, system requirements, and more.

"Standard Display Connectors: Single Link-DVI"

Cards with DVI connector are limited to 1920x1080/1200 res because GP108 only supports single-link DVI.

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
      https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...2GH-LP-OC.html

Can you please test the MSI card since it's the only one with DisplayPort 1.4 output port?

Check out the latest NVIDIA GeForce technology specifications, system requirements, and more.

"Standard Display Connectors: Single Link-DVI"

Cards with DVI connector are limited to 1920x1080/1200 res because GP108 only supports single-link DVI.
      All depends on which passive models become available/in-stock first and their costs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So it's certain it have nvenc block? GM108 does not have one, which is kind off odd. And by geforce.com site gt 1030 does not support Nvidia GameStream(that shield thingy), which made me wonder if this one does not have nvenc block too. But it might be just too slow for streaming anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          So it's certain it have nvenc block? GM108 does not have one, which is kind off odd. And by geforce.com site gt 1030 does not support Nvidia GameStream(that shield thingy), which made me wonder if this one does not have nvenc block too. But it might be just too slow for streaming anyhow.
          I don't think that would be odd. GM108 isn't a full chip, it is strictly useable only as a companion chip (optimus), as it doesn't even have display outputs. GP108 however is a full chip, useable for discrete graphics too.
          The same is true for AMD chips as well, those Hainan and Topaz chips which don't have display outputs don't have the video encode / decode blocks neither, relying on the primary IGP to do that job.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Very good note and yeah GM108 dont support nvenc and dont have all decoding features

However nvidia dont show for now if GP108 stay in equal matter as GM108 in decoding and encode support

Comment

For now dont appears much reviews but on youtube appears this benchmark between GT 1030 and RX 550 on various titles using windows

Very impressive how in various games GT 1030 have same performance (in others more case cs go, gta v, far cry primal, overwatch, mass effect andromeda, battlefield 1, the witcher 3) than RX 550 with only 64bits bus, reduced in 128 shaders, 50% less rops and 8 tmus reduced

And most important GT 1030 consume around 30w compared with RX550, RX550 stay around 55 to 65w depending manufacturer model and clocks

Last edited by pinguinpc; 19 May 2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Very impressive
                ... but not at all surprising. It's the same story with as with the GTX 1060 vs RX 480 really, where the 1060 has like 2/3rds of the raw processing power, 75% of the memory bandwidth, significantly lower power consumption, yet remains slightly faster in most games.

Still wouldn't recommend those things for anything that is supposed to run Linux as long as they prevent the OSS drivers from working.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                  For now dont appears much reviews but on youtube appears this benchmark between GT 1030 and RX 550 on various titles using windows

Very impressive how in various games GT 1030 have same performance (in others more case cs go, gta v, far cry primal, overwatch, mass effect andromeda, battlefield 1, the witcher 3) than RX 550 with only 64bits bus, reduced in 128 shaders, 50% less rops and 8 tmus reduced

And most important GT 1030 consume around 30w compared with RX550, RX550 stay around 55 to 65w depending manufacturer model and clocks

Impressive indeed for 70 bucks just about all the latest games are playable. You really don't need that much to game just goes to show ya. Its a lot better alternative than way back when when my 9800gt just up and croaked; had to spring for a GTS 450 at bestbuy that card lasted me like 7 years lol but was mainly gaming on my playstations then. That GTS 450 was one hot running card. It's a Galaxy and still runs ROFL!!!!!!

Recently had to burn a hole in my pocket for a GTX 1070 got one for $280 got it on deal was shear luck of the buying draw and had been drooling over it for awhile. Hope I am good for many years. 1050 ti on standby if something happens good card and hated to spend more money but having a new build was thinking might as well take advantage of latest setup.

On driver 381.22 note I pretty much had to use it for the 1070 had strange black lines in alien isolation. Was thinking my card was bad... booted into win10 everything perfect went back uninstalled 375 and now its good.
                  Last edited by creative; 19 May 2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Got the passive MSI GT 1030 ordered... Results next week when card arrives.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X