Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux GPU Driver Issues Are Still Holding Up Games In 2017

Phoronix: Linux GPU Driver Issues Are Still Holding Up Games In 2017

While Linux graphics drivers have been improving a lot, they are still not a trouble-free experience, especially when encountering new OpenGL games/workloads, even with NVIDIA's proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yea sure that's why we have thousands of steam games.

Comment

The chicken or the egg?

The "advantage" that Windows has in this instance, and even Mac to some degree, is that there are SOOOOOOOOO many games out there that every case and even every corner case you can think of has been applied, tested, re-tested, and re-tested 95 more times.

Linux is as of yet not a gaming platform. So when new games come, it's an untested case or untested corner case.

Even the Nvidia driver is affected here by this, simply because the chicken and the egg.

This is what uncharted waters look like folks. You find things that nobody have ever seen before. We're building colonies, and the diseases are coming. It's nobody's fault, it's just circumstances - it just is.

Comment

Linux GPU Driver Issues Are Still Holding Up Games In 2017
        Michael, you're being too generous Let's say, "Those rare crazy people who decide to port their game to an ever moving platform discover that it's not friendly to gaming". I'd even venture to say it's not friendly to any kind of software development but such a statement won't be met with enthusiasm here ;-)

With Windows 10 being such a horrible pile of shat, Linux nowadays has even a higher chance of becoming number one desktop platform but I'm quite sure this chance with be squandered just like it happened with Vista and Windows 8. It all looks like Microsoft is screaming at the top of their lungs, "We don't care about Windows any longer - go kill it with anything you want", but the Linux community ... well, let's be honest here, there's no "community" whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Michael, you're being too generous Let's say, "Those rare crazy people who decide to port their game to an ever moving platform discover that it's not friendly to gaming". I'd even venture to say it's not friendly to any kind of software development but such a statement won't be met with enthusiasm here ;-)
          I am not a game developer so I cannot make an informed comment on the first part of your statement. I am however a software developer who develops on Linux for a living. I am therefore very curious to hear why you think that Linux is not friendly to "any kind of software development".

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
            yea sure that's why we have thousands of steam games.
            Yeah i am not quite sure what people wants as Steam has near 3.5K games for Linux and also GoG has near 2K games for Linux... so there is a lot games to choose there.

It is just "princess is in another castle" syndrom likely, where some games available for another platform's are missing... well, even Windows users complain on some missing but available on non MS consoles

BTW, i think i only bought in maybe last 3 months... Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition last month and even that from GoG Good old game i spent more time on it than on some shitty modern looking ones
            Last edited by dungeon; 21 May 2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post

I am not a game developer so I cannot make an informed comment on the first part of your statement. I am however a software developer who develops on Linux for a living. I am therefore very curious to hear why you think that Linux is not friendly to "any kind of software development".
              They is a known troll, never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post

So how do you like the fact that a properly written application for Windows may work for up to twenty years (a lot of Win32 applications for Windows 95 work just fine in Windows 10) without recompilation and/or changes to the source code, while the same is near impossible for Linux? Or, and disregard the total imbeciles who call me a troll here - most, if not all of them, have done exactly nothing for Linux/Open Source. Their contribution to Linux is strictly limited to shatting in various online discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Yeah i am not quite sure what people wants as Steam has near 3.5K games for Linux and also GoG has near 2K games for Linux... so there is a lot games to choose there.
                  Please remind me how many AAA titles does Linux get. 1% or less? I don't care about Indie games - I don't play them, but out of over 60 games that I've bought on Steam only 5 are available for Linux. Tell me more about gaming in Linux, please. I'm all ears.

Oh and zero games that I own in UPlay and Origin are available for Linux. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Michael, you're being too generous Let's say, "Those rare crazy people who decide to port their game to an ever moving platform discover that it's not friendly to gaming".
                    The overwhelming majority of the statements in that article are plain bullshit or FUD respinned to sound worse than they are.

And of course it has the obligatory mention that ABI incompatibility is an issue. Go away troll.

Comment

Working...
                    X