Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWOCL 2017 OpenCL Wraps Up, OpenCL-V For Vulkan Makes Waves

Phoronix: IWOCL 2017 OpenCL Wraps Up, OpenCL-V For Vulkan Makes Waves

The annual International Workshop on OpenCL (IWOCL) conference has concluded this week in Toronto. Slides and other materials from this leading OpenCL conference are now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This could get very interesting. Perhaps Apple might end up begrudgingly shipping a Vulkan stack to keep their pro customers happy.

Comment

and nvidia. OpenCL-V not only makes sense in terms of a technological solution but a business political solution as well. Kudos to Neil Trevett for figuring how to leverage NVDA supporting Vulkan on a technical basis to work around the political BS and apple at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by nevion View Post
        Kudos to Neil Trevett for figuring how to leverage NVDA supporting Vulkan on a technical basis to work around the political BS and apple at the same time.
        You know he's a VP at Nvidia, right? And has been, since before OpenCL's inception. So, it seems unlikely that he's doing anything not in line with Nvidia's corporate strategy or interests.

As for Apple, well... I don't care about Apple. I think it'd be good if they supported standard APIs, but it's hard for a tiger to change its stripes. I'm not going to lose any sleep over anything they do or don't do. I'm quite happy on the outside of their walled garden.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          You know he's a VP at Nvidia, right? And has been, since before OpenCL's inception. So, it seems unlikely that he's doing anything not in line with Nvidia's corporate strategy or interests.
          Yes - you're not the only OpenCL developer in the world. And OpenCL was on a trajectory at nvidia, then it wasn't. That's a business decision and seems highly unlikely it was his. VPs only have so much power and can be very numerous in an org.

Originally posted by coder View Post
          As for Apple, well... I don't care about Apple. I think it'd be good if they supported standard APIs, but it's hard for a tiger to change its stripes.
          That's akin to saying screw it, I don't care if they support OpenGL, let them do what they want, it won't matter. It's more than good if they supported it. Also again would force NVidia to do better. Nvidia doing better on OpenCL also enables Apple to do better - at least when they choose their GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by nevion View Post
            Yes - you're not the only OpenCL developer in the world.
            WTF, dude?

That doesn't exactly strike me as obligatory knowledge for all OpenCL devs. The way I learned was through an email chain to sort out the paperwork so I could contribute as a non-Khronos member. Of course, the OpenCL WG chair is listed on their website, but like not even on the OpenCL overview page.

PS, I assume most people commenting in the programming/API-related topics are developers.
            Last edited by coder; 25 May 2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X