Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 17.2 Released To Fix Security Issue, Bugs

Phoronix: Kodi 17.2 Released To Fix Security Issue, Bugs

Kodi 17.2 has been released and all users of this HTPC software are encouraged to upgrade due to a security fix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a hard time finding information about this attack. The checkpoint blog says absolutely nothing of interest. Does it affect mpv? Does it affect Linux? How does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      I have a hard time finding information about this attack. The checkpoint blog says absolutely nothing of interest. Does it affect mpv? Does it affect Linux? How does it work?
      Taking a guess, but it is probably something like this: Zip file gets extracted by Kodi somewhere like ~/.kodi/subs/ and zip contains some file like "../../.ssh/authorized_keys". If the unzipping process lets it write outside the correct directory, you may have just given someone ssh access to your user, or whatever else could be done by writing to somewhere you have permission.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
        Taking a guess, but it is probably something like this: Zip file gets extracted by Kodi somewhere like ~/.kodi/subs/ and zip contains some file like "../../.ssh/authorized_keys". If the unzipping process lets it write outside the correct directory, you may have just given someone ssh access to your user, or whatever else could be done by writing to somewhere you have permission.
        It seems you’re right. This post says it was actually several different vulnerabilities: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14409236

Comment

This is now fixed in OSMC: https://osmc.tv/2017/05/osmc-securit...1-and-earlier/

Comment

Unfortunately Kodi 17 removed full audio support for 95% of existing Android devices so many will be sticking with Kodi 16 for quite a long time. To add insult to injury they actually compiled a Kodi 17 version with partially working passthrough audio and call it the "shitty" version. I'm not being rude, and I'm not kidding that's what they named it. It's a stunning development, but hey, thank goodness for Kodi 16.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              Unfortunately Kodi 17 removed full audio support for 95% of existing Android devices so many will be sticking with Kodi 16 for quite a long time. To add insult to injury they actually compiled a Kodi 17 version with partially working passthrough audio and call it the "shitty" version. I'm not being rude, and I'm not kidding that's what they named it. It's a stunning development, but hey, thank goodness for Kodi 16.
              You might want to check out SPMC, it's a Kodi fork made by its former Android mantainer after upstream Kodi pissed him off one last time and he quit.
              Semper Media Center (SPMC in short) is a android-minded fork of Kodi, by the former Kodi android maintainer, Koying

But yeah, if you wonder why Kodi on Android is like that, now you know.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                You might want to check out SPMC, it's a Kodi fork made by its former Android mantainer after upstream Kodi pissed him off one last time and he quit.
                Semper Media Center (SPMC in short) is a android-minded fork of Kodi, by the former Kodi android maintainer, Koying

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried SPMC a few times (the last time about 3 weeks ago) and it has the same problems. It's primarily made for the NVidia Shield, though I know they do try to support other devices when possible as well. Unfortunately I have 13 users of a MySQL based Kodi system that use everything from Fire TV Sticks to Android tablets to phones, and they need their accounts across all systems. The only thing that supports DTS, Dolby, DTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 thus far is Kodi 16. I'd love to be able to buy 13 $200+ Nvidia Shields but unfortunately I'm not quite that rich

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

I tried to respond but for some reason my post was blocked. I don't know why, as I always try to be as polite and respectful as possible. In any case the short answer is I've tried SPMC numerous times and it doesn't work any better. It's primarily designed for the Nvidia Shield but I have 13 users on a MySQL based Kodi system that use everything from Fire TV Sticks to Android tablets and phones and Kodi 16 is the only thing that works across them all and has support for DTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    I tried to respond but for some reason my post was blocked. I don't know why, as I always try to be as polite and respectful as possible.
                    The forum software has a antispam feature that throws many false positives

Comment

Working...
                    X