Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Logitech Hardware Can Now Be Flashed Under Linux With Fwupd

Phoronix: Some Logitech Hardware Can Now Be Flashed Under Linux With Fwupd

Richard Hughes of Red Hat has managed to support firmware updating of Logitech devices under Linux with fwupd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised they played ball, good going logitech.

Now give us drivers plz.

Comment

As if the average joe knows what a firmware is and will ever update it. How many printers, routers and computers ever get firmware updates done on them? Apple is probably the best at making people do it

Comment

@garegin: Fwupd is integrated in gnome-software. You get automatic firmware updates together with automatic software updates. No need for the user to know or care.

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
          @garegin: Fwupd is integrated in gnome-software. You get automatic firmware updates together with automatic software updates. No need for the user to know or care.
          no matter which distro?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            no matter which distro?
            It's using UEFI capsules, and the firmware comes from a dedicated repo (Linux Vendor Firmware Service) so the distro does not matter.

Comment

This is a nice move from Logitech, even though they c:learly had an interest in it. Let's hope they realize how valuable open source is now.

Comment

Thank you for this article, Michael. This is an important advance for free software.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

no matter which distro?
                  Correct. Red Hat runs the service and is responsible for maintaining the command line utility as well as GNOME Software but the interfaces and capability is not distribution specific in any way.

Comment

I've always avoided wireless mice as well as keyboards because I always suspected some kind of attack was possible. My original concern was use of wireless keyboards on encrypted computers, as that reduces the security of open source encryption to that of the commerical encryption on the keyboard. Still, I never knew a mouse dongle could be fed keyboard input to send inbound content. I had been concerned with passive monitoring of the user's own activities, which is dangerous enough.

I will never trust the commercial encryption in keyboards or any other closed source encrypted device. We are never more than one terrorist attack away from legally mandated backdoors in the kind of encryption that is bought and sold. Open source encryption, by comparison, is one terror attack away from finding one or more countries where the project website cannot be hosted, a far lesser threat.

Comment

Working...
                    X