Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Applications Will Now Look Better On Flatpak'ed GNOME Desktops

Phoronix: Qt Applications Will Now Look Better On Flatpak'ed GNOME Desktops

KDE/Qt applications will now look better on GNOME desktops when sandboxed using Flatpak...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    We should all be grateful for this. Someone pays for making random software behave and look like the proper reference desktop adopted by most distributors. Now they just need to decorate the windows properly with CSD.
    What would it take for you to stop commenting in Qt/KDE threads since you're not using them and you're not really interested in either?

Comment

Does this mean that they essentially hard-coded adwaita into flatpak? What about alternative themes?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

What would it take for you to stop commenting in Qt/KDE threads since you're not using them and you're not really interested in either?
        Possibly when play school is open again. I hate when they have holidays and leave griffin with nothing constructive to do. maybe his parents should invest in a large amount of Lego for him/her

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
          Does this mean that they essentially hard-coded adwaita into flatpak? What about alternative themes?
          As far as i can tell from the blogpost no they are not hard-coded. You need to install the different themes as extensions for the runtime your flatpaked application is using.
          So as long as someone packages the theme you are looking for as extension for your runtime you should be fine.
          e.g. in this case the following extensions are used "org.freedesktop.Platform.Icontheme.Adwaita", "kderuntime org.kde.KStyle.Adwaita", "kderuntime org.kde.PlatformTheme.QGnomePlatform"

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

Possibly when play school is open again. I hate when they have holidays and leave griffin with nothing constructive to do. maybe his parents should invest in a large amount of Lego for him/her
            I wasn't trying to be mean, but once this guys starts, it's hard to identify useful content in a thread. Much less have a meaningful conversation/debate.

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
              From the blog, AFAIU it was a proof of concept development, and later on they will port/include new themes

I’m also aware that there are more Gtk themes, like adwaita-dark or high-contrast, both are also available in form of Qt style and we will probably package them later, but at this point it is mostly proof of concept that this can be done and works nicely

Comment

I wish they would upstream QGnomePlatform. Qt has some adaptation to GNOME but is rather rudimentary, and could use some dedicated GNOME developers to keep it in shape (I think it is still reading GTK2 settings several places).

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  I wish they would upstream QGnomePlatform. Qt has some adaptation to GNOME but is rather rudimentary, and could use some dedicated GNOME developers to keep it in shape (I think it is still reading GTK2 settings several places).
                  It'd be nice the other way around too, Gnome isn't too keen on having GTK integrate with KDE and other DE/toolkits that well, I think some patches were made but rejected. Only way to get a native file dialog on KDE with GTK2 or GTK3 app for example seems to be via Flatpak packaged apps, with Qt apps you don't need Flatpak to ask for a native GTK file dialog.

Comment

Integrations like these should be made the default. UI Layout, ICON Set, File Dialogs; all these are items that should be made platform agnostic and better integrated across DEs.

Comment

Working...
                    X