Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS-Share: New Open-Source Project For Sharing GPS On A LAN

Phoronix: GPS-Share: New Open-Source Project For Sharing GPS On A LAN

GPS-Share made its first release today, a GNOME-aligned project for sharing a GPS device on a LAN...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

​​​​​​Oh, again with Rust.....
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There's also a goal to enable support ofr standalone GPS devices

Comment

Would be more useful with app that share GPS of Android phone.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Would be more useful with app that share GPS of Android phone.
        But we have app that shares GPS of mobile phone. http://www.jillybunch.com/sharegps/index.html

Comment

What are some use cases for this? One might be time synchronization, I suppose, but otherwise GPS on a LAN doesn't sound too useful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
            What are some use cases for this? One might be time synchronization, I suppose, but otherwise GPS on a LAN doesn't sound too useful to me.
            Phone tethering forms a LAN. All sorts of ideas are possible, use your imagination. Currently the location info is almost never propagated. So annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Phone tethering forms a LAN. All sorts of ideas are possible, use your imagination. Currently the location info is almost never propagated. So annoying.
              The project seems to be intended for stand-alone GPS devices, not phone tethering.

Comment

Might make ordering delivery pizza online while @ work more reliable? Struggling to think of a better use case ...

Comment

For IoT kinda makes sense, where you have one device in the swarm that has GPS and might need that info on others. But nowadays it's not hard to have IoT devices with GPS embedded already, and they won't use GNOME in IoT because of reasons anyway.

Comment

What are some use cases for this? {...} but otherwise GPS on a LAN doesn't sound too useful to me.
                    Random example:
                    Using google maps on a laptop that doesn't have an embed GPS.
                    That laptop is going to be tethered to a smartphone anyway (to get internet access to download tiles), it might as well receive a GPS feed from the smartphone over that connection.

Very practical use : the person riding shotgun in a car wanting to check the map on a big screen.
                    While the smartphone still serves as a make-shift satnav.

Comment

Working...
                    X