Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

Phoronix: An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

With Debian 9.0 "Stretch" being released in a few weeks, you can expect to find a number of Debian GNU/Linux comparisons coming up on Phoronix in June. For those curious how the performance of Debian Stretch is looking now that it's nearly finalized, here are some initial benchmarks compared to the current stable Debian 8.8 release as well as Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, and Clear Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for this. Would be interesting to see performance with liquorix kernel vs Debian 9, but would need to graph average frame timings that you do for your other tests.
    Basically proving the claims that liquorix is more multimedia and gaming friendly?

Comment

Flag this. Just found some previous testing you did. Reading now! Good job!

Comment

As others have expressed, thanks! I also wanted to see something like this.

Comment

I think we should throw in Solus in here as well. It borrows the optimizations from ClearLinux. I dislike the way Clear Linux manages packages and would rather prefer Solus (plus also the privacy aspect).
          Solus vs Debian 9 sounds interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
            I think we should throw in Solus in here as well. It borrows the optimizations from ClearLinux. I dislike the way Clear Linux manages packages and would rather prefer Solus (plus also the privacy aspect).
            Solus vs Debian 9 sounds interesting to me.
            ok i'll bite... i get that not everyone likes bundles in clear linux.. but what is the privacy aspect you mention?

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

ok i'll bite... i get that not everyone likes bundles in clear linux.. but what is the privacy aspect you mention?
              Well, could it be that Intel ME/AMT and vulnerabilities of late have made me paranoid ? is it just me that is the sceptic here ?
              Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 31 May 2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post

Well, could it be that Intel ME/AMT and vulnerabilities of late have made me paranoid ? is it just me that is the skeptic here ?
                Then you needn't worry. Those vulnerabilities are/were exploitable regardless of the OS you install

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian testing Xfce is easier to use than Solus and also lighter, budgie desktop is a memory hog. Debian testing is a rolling release, use stretch installer and change repository to testing. A custom non debug 1000Hz timer kernel and removing unused systemd services speeds up operation. You can also use Oibaf and Padoka yakkety ppas with Debian testing, see the second message;

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
                  Are you capable of mentioning anything else but "custom 1000hz timer kernel"? You're clearly utterly clueless when it comes to performance. Also Debian Testing is a staggered rolling release. The fact you have unused systemd services to start with, should tell that your system wasn't designed with optimisation in mind at the source. Right now you're comparing a dinosaur with a motorbike.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You mean compiler optimizations that can lead to uncompatibility and unstability. There are Amd cpus too.
                    I didn't say compiler optimisations. I'm talking about optimised design. Your approach of "lets strip an OS down to nothing, remove all running services, put an xrender-only WM on it, and try to pimp the kernel" is putting lipstick on a pig and is an incredibly antiquated approach. You're doing this stuff after the fact, and convincing yourself that changing the window manager and enabling a single kconfig entry is enough to give your infamous Debian XFCE installation superpowers.

Re: AMD cpus. Yes, I know, and Solus runs on them perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X