Genode OS 17.05 Released, Switches To GCC 6.3, Kernel/Platform Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS 17.05 Released, Switches To GCC 6.3, Kernel/Platform Improvements

Phoronix: Genode OS 17.05 Released, Switches To GCC 6.3, Kernel/Platform Improvements

Version 17.05 of the Genode OS research/experimental operating system project is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice.

Now i'm really waiting for the 17.08 release. From my understanding it will get a GUI...

Comment

The usefulness of this project is very limited.
      ​​​​​​Without a bootable image the possibility that new users will give it a try is close to zero.

Come on, guys! Do you really think that I can download the source code and build a working system by (cross)compiling the whole tree just to test it?
      ​​​​
      Last edited by Uqbar; 31 May 2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
        The usefulness of this project is very limited.
        ​​​​​​Without a bootable image the possibility that new users will give it a try is close to zero.

Come on, guys! Do you really think that I can download the source code and build a working system by (cross)compiling the whole tree just to test it?
        ​​​​
        Well, you don't really need to cross-compile, since one of the supported kernels is Linux. There used to be a live image, from what I recall, but the number of people who would do anything except turn up their nose at the visible presentation of this technology is vanishingly small. It might be worse to have a live image than not.

It also keeps low-effort complainers out of the mailing lists, which could be considered a good thing. ;- )

I'm waiting for an accelerated Mesa port to really do anything fun on it myself. I don't think I am motivated or knowledgeable enough to do that myself, at least for now.

Comment

Working...
        X