Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD LeMaker Cello Board Finally Ships To Some

Phoronix: AMD LeMaker Cello Board Finally Ships To Some

With all of AMD's excitement these days about their Zen-based Ryzen/EPYC processors and forthcoming Vega GPUs, you probably forgot about their ARM efforts that they appear to have pretty much abandoned. But it looks like some of those who pre-ordered the AMD Seattle powered LeMaker Cello board are finally receiving their kits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's probably not a AMD Seattle SoC, but a related ARM type of SoC from another fabber. Be interested in seeing what a dump of the CPU would show.

By getting these out during the Ryzen/Epyc press noise gets AMD off the hook and off the ARM radar.

I wonder how long the boards have been sitting on the shelf waiting for AMD to supply "something".

Comment

I kinda wished AMD would start producing ARM chips. But I'll understand it's more important to push x86-64 now.

Comment

It makes sense - AMD was working on these ARM boards because they needed a product to give them a head start if Ryzen should fail. Since it became successful enough that they're even making a 2nd consumer-level socket, I can see why they'd temporarily ignore their ARM products.

Definitely disappointing though - AMD seemed to make the most desktop-capable ARM boards, and now we can't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Definitely disappointing though - AMD seemed to make the most desktop-capable ARM boards, and now we can't get one.
          Uh... what? Where was there ever a "desktop capable" ARM board from AMD that they ever offered for sale anywhere? The best they had was a 2014 demonstration of something that looked like a knockoff microserver board that would probably be vastly less practical as a "desktop" than even an old Raspberry Pi since it was just a collection of some copy-n-paste A57 ARM cores on a chip that wasn't even a true SoC.

Even when AMD made its aborted attempt at the ARM market it only ever targeted microservers that never really went anywhere. The "desktop" was never even close to being on the radar, and since practically no products ever even shipped, it you could say that basically nothing of any value was ever on the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            Uh... what? Where was there ever a "desktop capable" ARM board from AMD that they ever offered for sale anywhere? The best they had was a 2014 demonstration of something that looked like a knockoff microserver board that would probably be vastly less practical as a "desktop" than even an old Raspberry Pi since it was just a collection of some copy-n-paste A57 ARM cores on a chip that wasn't even a true SoC.
            I'm referring to what could have been (AKA, their plans and prototypes), not what actually existed.

Comment

Im kinda disappointed that AMD went no where with ARM. On the other hand i glad yo see that Ryzen is finally competitive with Intel.

Frankly they lost a lot of ground to other suppliers in the ARM based server world. I don't see ARM based servers as dead, rather i see the hardware taking off. The potential is for ARM to displace many i86 servers out there.

Comment

Is sad that their ARM efforts appear abandoned. I still think over time ARM can take on the desktop and server too.

I would like an ARM board for testing, but not interested in those Pi style limited boards.

Show me something with the hardware equivalent of a Galaxy 7 and I'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                  Is sad that their ARM efforts appear abandoned. I still think over time ARM can take on the desktop and server too.

I would like an ARM board for testing, but not interested in those Pi style limited boards.

How about a HiKey 960(http://www.96boards.org/product/hikey960/) or wait for a DragonBoard 820c?

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                    Perhaps Firefly RK339 it's for you : http://en.t-firefly.com/en/firenow/Firefly_RK3399/

Comment

Working...
                    X