No announcement yet.

TrueOS BSD Stable Milestone With Installer Improvements, Lumina 1.2.2 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS BSD Stable Milestone With Installer Improvements, Lumina 1.2.2 Desktop

Phoronix: TrueOS BSD Stable Milestone With Installer Improvements, Lumina 1.2.2 Desktop

TrueOS, the FreeBSD-derived operating system formerly known as PC-BSD, is out with a six-month stable release update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lumina is perhaps what kept me away from TrueOS. I mean.. this FreeBSD "flavor" is aimed at desktop users.. and a good default desktop is the only thing it is really lacking.

Comment

If it can boot it would be a fix. Kept freezing at 'Giant-lock' last time I tried, maybe a couple of weeks ago. I think it was an ethernet card problem.

It's a bit sad that they have so few resources available. It's an otherwise very nice project.

Comment

Lo and behold, just tried it, and it boots! I've heard most developers only test TrueOS on virtual machines on macbooks. But, well, now it works and my ethernet card no longer cause a catastrophic failure. Pretty cool. Not sure I'll actually keep this in production vs FreeBSD, but it's worth testing out.

Good job team TrueOS.

Comment

I decided to boot it up and my errors are gone as well. My issues were related to graphics during the install though.
          Last edited by profoundWHALE; 02 June 2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
            Lo and behold, just tried it, and it boots! I've heard most developers only test TrueOS on virtual machines on macbooks. But, well, now it works and my ethernet card no longer cause a catastrophic failure. Pretty cool. Not sure I'll actually keep this in production vs FreeBSD, but it's worth testing out.

Good job team TrueOS.
            Just where exactly did you hear that? The TrueOS developers absolutely are running TrueOS on real hardware, the IXSystems guys are running it on Thinkpad X1 Carbon's If I recall correctly.

Comment

He probably extrapolated. Quite a few vanilla-FreeBSD devs in fact do use MacBooks.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                He probably extrapolated. Quite a few vanilla-FreeBSD devs in fact do use MacBooks.
                Yup. I wasn't talking about Dru and company, But a lot of FreeBSD and I'm guessing even more TrueOS devs are MacBooks VM guys 100%. I'm not going to name names, but it's the reality.

And I'm not ranting about it, I love the project in many ways, but if we are honest, their resources are anemic. They are a string and bubblegum type of operation. I'd love to see them have thousands of devs. Right now, the truth is that their previous release didn't work for many people. Now, they fixed it. But playing around, much is broken, and you have to reach out to freenode or such to get the "yeah, we know, try this", which, to their credit, always works, and they are doing their best. But the releases as is aren't bulletproof.

Comment

Working...
                X