Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Updated For The Linux 4.11 Kernel

Phoronix: Reiser4 Updated For The Linux 4.11 Kernel

Those holding interest in the Reiser4 file-system can now use it with the Linux 4.11 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it have any killer features?

Comment

Seriously, are there any advantages over XFS, BTRFS. I know ext4 is considered too temperemental for enterprrise use (that's why RHEL doesn't use it anymore

Comment

Why would ext4 be problematic in enterprise environment when you enable full journaling for it?

Comment

ext4 is nearly rock solid so long as you don't manually enable some features in testing. However, I am stoked to see when they finally enable COW by default on XFS.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            I know ext4 is considered too temperemental for enterprrise use (that's why RHEL doesn't use it anymore
            sources?

Comment

Why else would they use XFS by default?

Comment

Why else would they use XFS by default?
                Why else would Ubuntu and many others use ext4 by default? Note that Ubuntu (server) is used in production too.

Comment

Reiser4 was a pretty good idea. No conscieses, no development, no future. Ext4 plays a good role.

Comment

I know ext4 is considered too temperemental for enterprrise use (that's why RHEL doesn't use it anymore
                    False. ext4 is fully supported on RHEL 7. They switched to XFS as the default, but ext4 has not been deprecated. Can you articulate using technical terms, what you mean by "tempermental"? Ext4 is rock solid. Red Hat supports it, and Oracle supports it for all their enterprise database and middleware product suites.

The only reason Red Hat switched to XFS as the default in RHEL 7 is to escape some of the technical limitations of ext4 when it comes to large numbers of symlinks. Several of the Red Hat products, Satellite for example, use a large number of symlinks, and in the Satellite 6.2 deployment guide, they explain why XFS is preferred, even though both XFS and ext4 are fully supported.
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 June 2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X