Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Vulkan For Qt 5.10

Phoronix: The State Of Vulkan For Qt 5.10

For the Qt 5.10 release at the end of the year there will be initial support for Vulkan following the cross-platform tool-kit's existing support for Direct3D 12. The Vulkan support is a step in the right direction but will likely be a few releases if not until Qt6 before seeing more thorough Vulkan API support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, well, it's not like Qt is so demanding we can't do without Vulkan, but it's still a bit disheartening to see so little support planned. At the beginning of 2018 Vulkan will be almost two years old already. I mean, how many widgets are there in Qt anyway?
    Last edited by bug77; 06 June 2017, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Why would they make a Qt 6? Unless they were planning to (finally) drop the shitty MoC? But honestly even that wouldn't be a breaking change since you could just drop verdigris in place as is. What is so wrong to require a breaking release?

Comment

Why a cross-platform tool-kit like Qt have existing support for Direct3D 12, but not have already support for a cross-platform API?
        At least it looks that common sense is getting back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Why a cross-platform tool-kit like Qt have existing support for Direct3D 12, but not have already support for a cross-platform API?
          At least it looks that common sense is getting back to them.
          They had support for OpenGL and DX12 was released first (a year earlier?). Like many developers, they learned the concepts with DX12 and then move on to Vulkan once it released.
          Yea, I wouldn't have chosen to support DX at all, but there's a logic there and many devs, even theirs, only really care about Windows and mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

They had support for OpenGL and DX12 was released first (a year earlier?). Like many developers, they learned the concepts with DX12 and then move on to Vulkan once it released.
            Yea, I wouldn't have chosen to support DX at all, but there's a logic there and many devs, even theirs, only really care about Windows and mobile.
            I understand the need to support OpenGL since that works on both Linux and Windows, but I don't get why would anyone waste their time to support DX 12, which works only on Windows and even there is only working only on Windows 10, wich is full of spyware and other crapware and smart people will never install it.
            If the devs really care about Windows and mobile they should've supported Vulkan from the begging, since Vulkan is better fitted than DX 12 even on Windows (irony), because it supports older versions like 8 and 7 too.

Comment

I understand the need to support OpenGL since that works on both Linux and Windows, but I don't get why would anyone waste their time to support DX 12, which works only on Windows and even there is only working only on Windows 10, wich is full of spyware and other crapware and smart people will never install it.
              If the devs really care about Windows and mobile they should've supported Vulkan from the begging, since Vulkan is better fitted than DX 12 even on Windows (irony), because it supports older versions like 8 and 7 too.
              My guess is whoever did the previous DX support thought "why not?" since they were already familiar with the API. Meanwhile, Vulkan is still the newcomer.
              I would have still gone Vulkan first, but I'm just saying: maybe that's how DX12 support landed first.

Comment

The problem is that OpenGL is not well supported on Windows and that ANGLE is crap. DX12 was a way to get away from buggy OpenGL and ANGLE on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  The problem is that OpenGL is not well supported on Windows and that ANGLE is crap. DX12 was a way to get away from buggy OpenGL and ANGLE on Windows.
                  I had no Idea that OpenGL is not well supported on Windows.
                  I just played some games and runned some benchmarks on Windows in the past, where I switched the renderer fromDirectX to OpenGL and I didn't observe any difference or glitch.

Comment

First, read the Qt blog post. We all know the problems with Windows. Enough said. Verdigris devs should work with Qt devs and make their case to them. Sometimes, we let our philosophy rule too much. The moc has never been a problem for me. The blog posts explains a lot, read it. The dev says things changed with 5.10, so check it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X