No announcement yet.

Feral Announces Requirements For Dawn of War III On Linux With OpenGL & Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Announces Requirements For Dawn of War III On Linux With OpenGL & Vulkan

Phoronix: Feral Announces Requirements For Dawn of War III On Linux With OpenGL & Vulkan

A day ahead of Feral's much anticipated Linux (and macOS) port of Dawn of War III, the game porting firm has announced the system requirements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As long as Vulkan works with all GPUs there is no need for OpenGL at all in my opinion. I'm absolutely OK with Vulkan only games - saves everyone money except people with quite old GPUs that should be upgraded in the near future.

Comment

We recommend a 3.4GHz Intel i7-4770 running Ubuntu 16.10, 8GB RAM and an Nvidia 980Ti with 4GB of VRAM.
      Are they serious? 650ti minimum and a 980ti recommended?

Are they just really lazy and don't feel like testing with slower hardware and simply test with what they have or is something seriously broken?

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        As long as Vulkan works with all GPUs there is no need for OpenGL at all in my opinion. I'm absolutely OK with Vulkan only games - saves everyone money except people with quite old GPUs that should be upgraded in the near future.
        Sure, it will save my pocket too because afaik there is no Vulkan support for my card (R9 270x) on Linux, although it's more than recommended for the Windows version.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Sure, it will save my pocket too because afaik there is no Vulkan support for my card (R9 270x) on Linux, although it's more than recommended for the Windows version.
          Archlinux + lcarlier repo + amd-staging kernel(included on repo) + edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and in modules add amdgpu(before install so pacman generate the proper images)

Voila RADV fully working, enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Are they serious? 650ti minimum and a 980ti recommended?

Are they just really lazy and don't feel like testing with slower hardware and simply test with what they have or is something seriously broken?
            It's minimum as in hardware slower than that will not run the game at what Feral consider acceptable fps. It's probably not broken and you can run it, but they don't officially support your configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              As long as Vulkan works with all GPUs there is no need for OpenGL at all in my opinion.
              The majority of AMD graphics cards out there in the wild still don't run vulkan by default on popular distros.
              You have to
              -install proprietary amdgpu pro driver
              or
              -manually enable AMDGPU drm in the kernel so that you can use RadV

Unfortunately it's not like Windows where every dev knows that as long as their customer's have Vulkan capable hardware they can target it knowing everybody has fast working drivers.

Also I think openGL allows devs to target MacOSX + Linux in one go.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Archlinux + lcarlier repo + amd-staging kernel(included on repo) + edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and in modules add amdgpu(before install so pacman generate the proper images)

Voila RADV fully working, enjoy
                Thanks for the advice but I don't like to mess that much with my Arch installation.
                I like bleeding edge but no that bleeding.
                I will wait until Vulkan works mainline for me, got enough other good games to play (looking at you Dota2).

Comment

This will be an interesting release for me. I've targeted a budget build on my current Linux gaming box with a fairly underpowered CPU (Pentium G4560) which punches above its weight. And I've paired it with a reasonably capable GPU, a RX480. So I'm looking to Vulkan to deliver on it's promise of reducing reliance on CPU calls. I'll be fascinated to see how this title performs on this hardware.

I played the hell out of DoW1 and it's expansions, but never really got into the sequel, I've got some time off in a couple of weeks and I'll probably give this a whirl on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Thanks for the advice but I don't like to mess that much with my Arch installation.
                    I like bleeding edge but no that bleeding.
                    I will wait until Vulkan works mainline for me, got enough other good games to play (looking at you Dota2).
                    if you have archlinux then simply install linux-zen(is stable and have some extra speed and less latency and include full gcn1.0+ support) and edit mkinititcpio.conf and add amdgpu in modules. mesa stable already have radv but won't be as fast as git(remember install amdgpu ddx if you use xorg, xf86-video-amdgpu)

Comment

Working...
                    X