RadeonSI ARB_bindless_texture Revised, Nearly Ready For Mesa 17.2 Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI ARB_bindless_texture Revised, Nearly Ready For Mesa 17.2 Git

Phoronix: RadeonSI ARB_bindless_texture Revised, Nearly Ready For Mesa 17.2 Git

Samuel Pitoiset working for Valve has published his third -- and expected to be final revision -- of his massive patch-set readying Mesa and specifically the RadeonSI driver for OpenGL ARB_bindless_texture support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, one step closer to ZDO

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      Awesome, one step closer to ZDO
      True, but how many will do AZDO instead of just moving over to Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

for those that already have existent applications using OpenGL, for those that can't afford the complexity of Vulkan/D3D12/Metal, Indie Game engines, etc for a while until Low Level API tools make it easy enough for those developers

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

for those that already have existent applications using OpenGL, for those that can't afford the complexity of Vulkan/D3D12/Metal, Indie Game engines, etc for a while until Low Level API tools make it easy enough for those developers
          But do you think AZDO will be a reasonable technique for "Indie Game Engines"? Will they need the (possible) performance gain of it, and be willing to spend the time needed for updating their code to start using it?
          I believe that many developers (I'm looking at the latest Khronos videos from the Vulkanised! event right now) are starting to find/realize that the "complexity" of Vulkan isn't actually that complex, and that getting rid of the OpenGL baggage is worth the lift to Vulkan. For instance the Feral talk.

Comment

But do you think AZDO will be a reasonable technique for "Indie Game Engines"? Will they need the (possible) performance gain of it, and be willing to spend the time needed for updating their code to start using it?
            I believe that many developers (I'm looking at the latest Khronos videos from the Vulkanised! event right now) are starting to find/realize that the "complexity" of Vulkan isn't actually that complex, and that getting rid of the OpenGL baggage is worth the lift to Vulkan. For instance the Feral talk.
            I agree but this is one of those cases that is better to have it and don't need it than need it and don't have it.

Comment

all who already do azdo and don't do vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                all who already do azdo and don't do vulkan
                Well, that goes without saying. But how many are those? 5? 10?

Comment

Well, that goes without saying. But how many are those? 5? 10?
                  Let me just state that I think that it's awesome that the drivers are finally getting this, and that I/we DO really want a complete and performant OpenGL driver.. I don't want that to somehow be misinterpreted by coming off as negative. So my post wasn't about that, I was just wondering, "who will actually be using this?".

Comment

Working...
                  X