Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Is Exploring Potentially Using Btrfs In Android

Phoronix: Google Is Exploring Potentially Using Btrfs In Android

Google is looking at potentially supporting Btrfs on Android devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This would be so sick!! I'm really hoping some Google developers start implementing the new VFS encryption code to in btrfs. Last I heard the btrfs devs were thinking about writing their own encryption implementation.

Comment

No! Just no! Stop everything right now!

Now, contribute to bcachefs instead, and use that.

There, fixed it!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        There, fixed it!
        Uhm, no! You failed to provide even a single argument why...

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          Uhm, no! You failed to provide even a single argument why...
          because newer is always better!
          because I like bcachefs author!
          because btrfs ate my kittens!
          because I say so!

(in case someone didn't get this, I'll add a /sarcasm here)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            because newer is always better!
            because I like bcachefs author!
            because btrfs ate my kittens!
            because I say so!

(in case someone didn't get this, I'll add a /sarcasm here)
            It ate your kittens? How dare Google be interested in something so evil!!11!1

Honestly though, I can imagine some people are swayed by what's been said about bcachefs, such as this faq entry on the bcachefs patreon page:
            btrfs, which was supposed to be Linux's next generation COW filesystem - Linux's answer to zfs. Unfortunately, too much code was written too quickly without focusing on getting the core design correct first, and now it has too many design mistakes baked into the on disk format and an enormous, messy codebase - bigger that xfs. It's taken far too long to stabilize as well - poisoning the well for future filesystems because too many people were burned on btrfs, repeatedly (e.g. Fedora's tried to switch to btrfs multiple times and had to switch at the last minute, and server vendors who years ago hoped to one day roll out btrfs are now quietly migrating to xfs instead).
            With that said, I've never seen either code base, nor have I used them, nor am an expert on FS's; so I can't tell if this statement actually holds water.

BUT btrfs was started by Oracle and currently developed by Facebook! So it must be the devil! /allthesarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
              This would be so sick!!
              Sick, yeah.

There are no benefits of using btrfs on a mobile phone or tablet compared to ext4.

Comment

It's working fine for Sailfish. Apart from that, you've all the benefits of the desktop : compression, subvolumes, snapshots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                  BUT btrfs was started by Oracle and currently developed by Facebook! So it must be the devil! /allthesarcasm
                  Oracle is still active in btrfs development, there is also people from fujitsu.

It's all a conspiracy, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                    Sick, yeah.

There are no benefits of using btrfs on a mobile phone or tablet compared to ext4.
                    Yeah, compression, subvolumes and snapshots.... wait a sec....

Comment

Working...
                    X