Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connor Abbott Working On New Features For RADV Vulkan Driver

Phoronix: Connor Abbott Working On New Features For RADV Vulkan Driver

Connor Abbott, who is now working for Valve over the summer, has posted a set of 17 patches on Friday for the RADV open-source Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SteamVR on linux is reliant on Vulkan. Valve is very aware of that and they seem to want AMD Vulkan drivers performant asap...

I think they have moved away from amdgpu-pro partly because it prohibited them from using newer kernels on steamOS. Now they have switched to Mesa for AMD and moved to kernel 4.11

Comment

Valve, you lied to me

We don’t have junior-level positions or internships here, so we are looking for highly skilled folks who’ve been in their industry for a few years who can bring in knowledge and expertise we don’t currently possess.

Requirements:
      • 4+ years of professional experience
      • High-level expertise in your discipline

Comment

Im not sure there is an inconsistency... AFAIK Connor has been writing code for GPU drivers & shader compilers since ~2011, and has more than demonstrated high level expertise in that area.
        Last edited by bridgman; 11 June 2017, 03:03 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Valve, you lied to me
          well if you didn't apply it doesn't count

Comment

I'm not sure the big deal on him being young - he is clearly a capable developer

Comment

Valve, you lied to me
              I'm sure if you can point out your name in the SPIR-V spec they might hire you too.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
                I'm not sure the big deal on him being young - he is clearly a capable developer
                I dont think junior really applies to your age but your age in the industry.

Comment

Everyone here has valid points. Of course, Connor Abbot is awesome, and valve did the right thing picking him up
                  Congratulations, Connor, and best luck for your internship!

I was just poking fun at Valve (with just a pinch of truth). And I find it seriously awesome that the guys at Intel allowed Connor to work on these amazing things (instead of the customary coffee-serving role of an intern); as is just the fact that he picked up lima development as a high school student! I don't have a third of the experience he has

Now, airlied, point taken
                  And cj.wijtmans, here, I though the blocker was more with the "professional experience" part, where a lot of companies don't want to hire you if you don't have a few years of experience as an employee in the industry. From the little I've seen, anyways.

Comment

(instead of the customary coffee-serving role of an intern);
                    it's only normal if that person isn't capable of doing anything usefull

I though the blocker was more with the "professional experience" part, where a lot of companies don't want to hire you if you don't have a few years of experience as an employee in the industry. From the little I've seen, anyways.
                    just ignore something like this. If you are capable they want to hire you, if not, then not. Has mostly nothing to do with how many "years" you already spent. Sometimes it does, but usually not. Also you can spend 4 years doing boring crap in the industry and this won't help you either.

Comment

Working...
                    X