Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce Picks Up Hybrid Sleep Support

Phoronix: Xfce Picks Up Hybrid Sleep Support

The Xfce desktop has integrated hybrid sleep support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does Gnome has it? Cheers

Comment

No, it's 2017 and Gnome still doesn't have it.. All this desktop fragmentation is so good for the Linux desktop, eh

Comment

Meh, it's a "systemctl hybrid-sleep" away on most distributions, and has been available that way for a while

More important to me is, "is hibernating working 100% properly yet?". It has been a while since the last time I tried, and the experience hasn't been stellar so far.

Well, at least, I can now resume from sleep almost 90% of the time on my desktop (it has been a solid 100% on my laptop since ~2009, however, I'll grant you that) :P

Comment

Little typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          makes use of the Linux kerne's functionality to

Comment

Originally posted by jackflap View Post
            No, it's 2017 and Gnome still doesn't have it.. All this desktop fragmentation is so good for the Linux desktop, eh
            Yeah, because if everyone worked towards The One True Desktop everything would be surely better.

Hail Hydra!

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Well, at least, I can now resume from sleep almost 90% of the time on my desktop (it has been a solid 100% on my laptop since ~2009, however, I'll grant you that) :P
              For me it was a matter of not using Nvidia with closed source drivers. My laptop used to fail to resume ~30% of the times (plus all the proprietary annoyances). Since that horrible Nvidia experience, I only buy laptop/desktop hardware with open source support for graphics.

Comment

Ah, the joys of suspending. I must admit I was a shutdown and power off correctly person long time, but I discovered that STR is a highly comfy thing on occasions. STD sounds reasonable, too, esp. when you're on low battery with a laptop.
                I have 2 machines where STR works usually fine but one other that sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes it doesn't wake up correctly... uuuh. I guess ACPI still is a pain (the ACPI tables on that machine were also not nice to decompile/recompile with iasl; more than 200 errors and I don't have enough knowledge to fix them).
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I wonder if modern SSD and eMMC is sustainable for hibernate and hybrid sleep? And by the way, is it still recommended to turn off swap on flash memory?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    And by the way, is it still recommended to turn off swap on flash memory?
                    I'm not sure what is recommended but Im using a little swap with low swapiness (google it), which makes linux rarely use swap, mostly when it's about to go out of memory. Seems like a reasonable solution to me, saves both SSD from extra writes and saves the system when needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X