Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfdesktop 4.13.1 Released, Another Step Towards Xfce 4.14

Phoronix: Xfdesktop 4.13.1 Released, Another Step Towards Xfce 4.14

Xfdesktop 4.13.1 was released this weekend as another baby step towards the long-awaited Xfce 4.14...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Only of interest to those who have substituted religious zealotry with distribution and DE zealotry, I wonder who that could be ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      Only of interest to those who have substituted religious zealotry with distribution and DE zealotry, I wonder who that could be ?
      Or trolls. Don't forget trolls! ;-)

Seriously, I use Xubuntu just because I like XFCE and it does what I want it to do. Hasn't gotten in my way or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post
        Or trolls. Don't forget trolls! ;-)
        I see this in virtually any GTK/Qt, AMD/Nvidia or whatever thread. Everyone picks one or the other, but some feel compelled to post in threads about the thing they don't use how much it sucks and how much better the other one is.

Which is stupid for several reasons:
        1. It assumes nobody has actually compared the two, but the troll (hint: that's not true).
        2. It assumes if anyone has compared the two, they haven't noticed some aspects the troll feels are important (hint: if they went unnoticed, they're not that important).
        3. They feel there's value in posting the same thing over and over and over again (hint: 1+1 will always equal 2, but for some strange reason nobody litters threads with that).
        4. And the most important, if someone insists on telling me what I'm doing is wrong and there's a better way, it implies they know better (hint: since this is the internet and I don't know you, that won't work).

Comment

Maybe people who like to use xfce as their personally preferred DE, maybe because they use weaker hardware for financial or environmental reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by timtas View Post

Maybe people who like to use xfce as their personally preferred DE, maybe because they use weaker hardware for financial or environmental reasons?
            A lot of people see it as a point of pride to use 5, 10 or even older hardware. I'm not in that camp, but I get it.

150 vs 300mb of RAM usage is pretty trivial on even semi-modern hardware. Regardless I'm going to open up Chrome which will eat 3-4gb. I've not used graphics hardware that was taxed by Gnome/KDE in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

A lot of people see it as a point of pride to use 5, 10 or even older hardware. I'm not in that camp, but I get it.

150 vs 300mb of RAM usage is pretty trivial on even semi-modern hardware. Regardless I'm going to open up Chrome which will eat 3-4gb. I've not used graphics hardware that was taxed by Gnome/KDE in years.
              yeah chrome is a memory hog. I tried opera's latest release, its almost as snappy as chrome at the same time uses much less memory.
              Michael should do browser testing once in a while too. But I wonder if that would be too much effort.

On topic: I like XFCE gtk3 port would become the defacto DE on a good bunch of distros. I like that it's picking up pace.
              Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 12 June 2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post

yeah chrome is a memory hog. I tried opera's latest release, its almost as snappy as chrome at the same time uses much less memory.
                Michael should do browser testing once in a while too. But I wonder if that would be too much effort.
                I might check out Opera for personal use. Work is Chrome/Firefox/Edge(sometimes IE) because those are the standard browsers people test against.

Comment

Meh, I disagree you fartblaster ... Don't panic , but I am on 10 years old hardware - core 2 duo 6600 @2.4ghz with 3gb ram and a shitload of SSD's. XFCE on my machine works quite well. It's fast, stays out of my way and allow me to do what I want to ... which is very important.

I see absolutely no reason to upgrade my hardware since everything is more than fast enough. For me XFCE is a great desktop environment and even if I had a 42 core monster machine with terrabytes of ram I would still run XFCE because I frankly think it is better and more configurable than the alternatives such as LXDE, GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, Mate, etc... etc...

Right now you may be tempted to think that I am one of the fanatic ones... and you'll be right!, however this really have to do with liking something because it works and hating something because it does stupid things. Most "real" fanatics usually hate a distro/desktop environment/a certain system daemon because they are 'supposed to' not based on performance, stability, experience and facts. I myself are happy with XFCE just the way it is , but it is always nice to see your favorite DE have some momentum.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                    Meh, I disagree you fartblaster ... Don't panic , but I am on 10 years old hardware - core 2 duo 6600 @2.4ghz with 3gb ram and a shitload of SSD's. XFCE on my machine works quite well. It's fast, stays out of my way and allow me to do what I want to ... which is very important.
                    Ahem, with a 6600, 3GB of RAM and SSDs you could use any DE and it would not get in the way either.

For "old hardware" people usually talk about obsolete pre-Core stuff, less than 2GB of RAM and oldish Sata hard drives.

Comment

Working...
                    X