Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropico 6 Will Debut With Linux Support Next Year

Phoronix: Tropico 6 Will Debut With Linux Support Next Year

There haven't been too many interesting game announcements at E3 2017 so far this week where Linux support has been explicitly mentioned, but Tropico 6 is now confirmed for 2018 and will be supported on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, great news!

Comment

A city builder powered by Unreal Engine.
      Let's hope this works out, I am not so convinced by their game portfolio: http://limbic-entertainment.de/index.php/games
      They made a lot of trash games...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
        Let's hope this works out, I am not so convinced by their game portfolio: http://limbic-entertainment.de/index.php/games
        Well, the Tropico series seemed to kind of die with the 5th one anyway. I got the 5th installment from one of the Humble Bundles and even though I really wanted to like the game, it was just executed so poorly. There were so many cool and original ideas and it looked great too, but it seemed to only cater to those who played the first 3 games (I heard it's mostly just Tropico 4 with a few things here and there changed up, which bothered a lot of people). This was I think the only game where I lost on the first level despite playing the game with lowered difficulties.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 13 June 2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
          Tropico has been pretty swell, so if it's Tropico it could be very good. Though I didn't play the 5th one, others did complain.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Well, the Tropico series seemed to kind of die with the 5th one anyway. I got the 5th installment from one of the Humble Bundles and even though I really wanted to like the game, it was just executed so poorly. There were so many cool and original ideas and it looked great too, but it seemed to only cater to those who played the first 3 games (I heard it's mostly just Tropico 4 with a few things here and there changed up, which bothered a lot of people). This was I think the only game where I lost on the first level despite playing the game with lowered difficulties.
            Actually what bothered most people is that it wasn't just Tropico 4 but instead was a necessary evolution of the way the game was designed that some people considered to be "dumbing it down" but the more usual complaints were about things that people don't usually really customize out in some complex manner that make the economy fragile and having a tendency to implode. I really don't consider 4 or 5 to be worse than the other, they're just different and for those who are obsessed that the style of 3 and 4 has to be the way Tropico works are always going to consider 4 the peak of the series because there's really nowhere to go with expanding the mechanics and not changing things.

It is a very hard game though yes, but be glad you're not playing 3, the difficulty is much higher due to the factions being far more aggressive, being unable to quick build buildings (which will paralyze you in late game) and just in general being a less powerful dictator. What I find tends to be the best general strategy is
            • Step 1: Set up the basic city grid (this is one of the most important things you need to get right)
            • Step 2: Spam out a variety of farms and ranches, including food and cash crops (to the point of going into debt up to your debt ceiling at this point)
            • Step 3: When the dough begins to roll in start building out your government, most important being the diplomatic office, and elementary and high schools (no college yet)
            • Step 4: Step up a diplomatic agreement with the Russians so that you can build tenements half price
            • Step 5: Everyone gets a Tenement
            • Step 6: Establish your mining, timber, and sawmill operations
            • Step 7: establish tradeports in the harbours nearby your mining ops and set up infrastructure to handle the resources going there
            • Step 8: Industrialize
            • Step 9: Militarize
            • Step 10: Healthcare

This won't work for all maps but for Tropico 5 this should give you a solid and stable foundation to go into midgame with most of the time.

Comment

I'm sceptical about the new developer but I will definitely buy it when it's about the same quality like previous parts. And I really hope it will also support Vulkan.

Comment

Let's hope they add something new this time, instead of just rereleasing an old Tropico version, now with even fewer features in the base game, so the rest can be sold as DLC.

Comment

Working...
                X