Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Ramping Up, Ikey Doherty Will Work Fulltime On The OS

Phoronix: Solus Ramping Up, Ikey Doherty Will Work Fulltime On The OS

The Solus Linux distribution and its Budgie desktop continue moving on strong and they've added another developer to their team while the project leader Ikey Doherty will be working on the project full-time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's hope they find a solid financial ground to grow further, it's always good if someone invests into the Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
      Let's hope they find a solid financial ground to grow further, it's always good if someone invests into the Linux desktop.
      He Who Dares.. uh.. Does.. Stuff Goodly?

Comment

Huh? What he says?

Comment

Great to hear that they are moving in a positive direction and expanding! I hope it works out and that they continue to grow.

Comment

Solus is really promising! I keep checking on it every few months, but I haven't really used it, since it's missing some software that I need. Maybe in the summer, when I will have more time, I will try to use it daily, do proper requests for software and maybe learn their packaging system and see if I can help with that.

The most important contribution that Solus is able to give to the linux community, in my opinion, is this: https://github.com/solus-project/lin...ver-management. If they manage to get it work properly even under arch linux, then I believe this will start a new era for linux! For what I know, manjaro developers are thinking of using it too (and drop mhwd) when it's ready for arch.

I wish ikey and the rest Solus team all the best!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post

The most important contribution that Solus is able to give to the linux community, in my opinion, is this: https://github.com/solus-project/lin...ver-management. If they manage to get it work properly even under arch linux, then I believe this will start a new era for linux! For what I know, manjaro developers are thinking of using it too (and drop mhwd) when it's ready for arch.
              We'll have plenty more time to flesh this out this year. I now have two Optimus laptops so the pains are growing. Ideally we'll want to plug in more hardware providers. If the Manjaro guys have some requirements just get them to hit me up on GitHub with some feature requests or request for discussion, as we'll all likely benefit each other doing this. I want to expose the detection code too which will allow frontends to be very simple yet powerful for hardware detection + configuration. I want to see this be properly agnostic too

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
                Solus is really promising! I keep checking on it every few months, but I haven't really used it, since it's missing some software that I need. Maybe in the summer, when I will have more time, I will try to use it daily, do proper requests for software and maybe learn their packaging system and see if I can help with that.

I wish ikey and the rest Solus team all the best!!
                This is definitely a great feature that I want to use. For now Im usin nvidia-xrun and it works great, it gives better performance that bumblebee and provides vulkan support. But I have to start a tty session to enjoy it. Hopefully this solusos project will evolve and become the way to go when it comes to optimus support.

Comment

Solus is my daily driver and just flat out works. Very happy with my move from ubuntu.

Congrats Ikey on following your passion.

Comment

Great news! I've been using it for almost a year now, rock solid distro!

Comment

Working...
                    X