Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Working On More Optimizations To Mesa State Tracker

Phoronix: Marek Working On More Optimizations To Mesa State Tracker

Marek Olšák at AMD has published his latest patch series: 24 patches providing further clean-ups and micro-optimizations to Gallium3D's Mesa state tracker...

So, Intel, is is Gallium still too slow and "not worth the effort" as you said when you refused to use it all those years ago? DX9 for "free", could have had openCl, at one point had openvg...

Comment

I'm dreaming but wonderful would be replacing Gallium3D with Vulkan, and then write an OpenGL state tracker for it.
      Sadly ​​​​​​I know it would imply lot of work and redesign and some Vulkan implementations in software to make API work for pre-vulkan older cards

Comment

10 to 20 percent isn't really that micro. That should be even palpable in situations, outside of benchmarks. I think Marek is trying to definitely beat all the blob drivers on every level.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

This is great, the last benchmarks showed the mesa driver very close to nvidia's, I wonder if this has closed the gap. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            10 to 20 percent isn't really that micro. That should be even palpable in situations, outside of benchmarks. I think Marek is trying to definitely beat all the blob drivers on every level.
            Microoptimization more refers to making minor changes to the code rather than rearchitecting it. But yeah, 20% is a lot, I'm going to try this out on my (DrawElements-limited) application and see what I get.

Comment

Some recent change the last ~24 hours made the driver regress for me.
              Now games will display wrong colours and then crash or crash immediately when starting the application.

Tried building earlier Mesa (radeonsi) version from a few days back and start apps with overloaded libraries but they still crash. Using Oibaf for everything else.
              Last edited by Silverthorn; 13 June 2017, 05:33 PM. Reason: Tested some older mesa builds

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
                Some recent change the last ~24 hours made the driver regress for me.
                Now games will display wrong colours and then crash or crash immediately when starting the application.

Tried building earlier Mesa (radeonsi) version from a few days back and start apps with overloaded libraries but they still crash. Using Oibaf for everything else.
                Would you at least tell us what GPU you have? I guess it's not VI, because I don't see any issue on VI.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

Would you at least tell us what GPU you have? I guess it's not VI, because I don't see any issue on VI.
                  Ah yes sorry. It wasn't meant as a full bug report. I was more interested to see if someone else had similar problems. I have a R9 390 so it's on CiK and I'm using amdgpu. Anyway when I updated to the latest version of Oibaf just now everything started to work again. I never found the cause of the issue. I'm inclined to believe it was something outside of mesa causing it because the problem was effecting vulkan as well. Maybe the computer just needed a cold reboot, I never checked before updating to the latest version.

Comment

I am very proud of my native Marek's endless effort in giving to linux community the best of what AMD's HW is capable to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X