Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allwinner Has Many DRM Changes Queued For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Allwinner Has Many DRM Changes Queued For Linux 4.13

The Allwinner sun4i-drm driver has a ton of new code ready to ship with the Linux 4.13 kernel that will greatly help many Allwinner SoC users out there running this open-source Direct Rendering Manager driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Many of these SoC's users are interested in their headless server function and IMO the most important lacking parts of upstream kernel ATM are DVFS and ethernet support. Ethernet support is ready but I'm still wating for the DVFS support (my orange pi pc's runs really hot)

Comment

I'm supposed to eventually receive an Allwinner laptop. The pine one. I know that they have been terrible with respecting licenses in the past, but I do feel that they are trying. Chinese companies in general seem to be often in contempt but trying to improve. Shenzhen, baby

Comment

Oh, upstream Odroid support would be *so* cool.

Comment

What I really love of these SoCs are that they can, by default, boot from an SD card. Thanks to that I've been able to transform my el-cheapo android tablet into a fully-fledged linux tablet.

Comment

Probably the reason people use them as headless devices is that there GPU drivers are shit

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              Probably the reason people use them as headless devices is that there GPU drivers are shit
              People use Raspberry Pi for everything even though the GPU is the only non-shit part of the boards. They even install mSATA SSD as an addon and connect via the same USB as ethernet and other devices. 280 Mbps of bandwidth shared with 1000 Mbps USB ethernet, 600 Mbps SATA bridges, UVC Class 1.5 webcams streaming h.264, USB 5.1 192/24 DACs etc. That's.. just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post
                Oh, upstream Odroid support would be *so* cool.
                What board do you have? Has there been any progress? Last I checked, only the most recent C2 boards get any kind of updates. Odroid-X, C1, and other older models are totally unsupported. Can't even find a source for bootloader these days.

Comment

Anyone knows if they have fixed the mystical HDMI problem with the A10 that you couldn't use a computer screen, only a TV screen?

My Hackberry A10 surely doesn't want to cooperate with any non-TV screen. Not the Chinese portable HDMI screen I bought for it, nor any other computer screen I've tried, only an old Samsung TV with ... overscan Not what I intended it for, and the overscan made it miserable at that anyway. This was in 2012… Do I still need to avoid Allwinner like the plague?
                  Last edited by andreano; 18 June 2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    I'm supposed to eventually receive an Allwinner laptop. The pine one. I know that they have been terrible with respecting licenses in the past, but I do feel that they are trying. Chinese companies in general seem to be often in contempt but trying to improve. Shenzhen, baby
                    How are they trying to improve? What exactly have they done in that direction?
                    At least in the early stages of the Pine64, their stance was something like: it's not our responsibility to develop drivers, only hardware. get over it!
                    After many people started complaining in the forums, they admitted to have meeting with the Pine devs and see what could be done.
                    A few months later withno official word/results from the meeting it was clear that it was fruitless.
                    I stopped following the Pine board soon after that, but unless they really change their ways, there's no way in hell they're trying to improve! From what i can tell, their stance is to give that impression as to keep people buying their stuff in hopes that some day they will fulfill their promise, when in all truth they seem to have no intention...

Comment

Working...
                    X