Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuel Pitoiset Takes To More RadeonSI/Mesa Optimizations

Phoronix: Samuel Pitoiset Takes To More RadeonSI/Mesa Optimizations

It was just yesterday that bindless texture support landed in Mesa Git for RadeonSI while now Samuel Pitoiset who works for Valve's Linux graphics driver team has taken to other work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This actually also improves perf with DOW3, from 74 to 76 FPS on my box, using full bindless mode in low settings. Still a minor optimization though.

Comment

So it seems all the low hanging optimisation fruit has been picked and now they are onto the small stuff - as an end user, this makes me happy!

Comment

Time for a nice GUI configuration tool

Comment

Maybe some of these RadeonSI folks could help AMD get DC into shape. I don't want it rushed, but it should be in at least in the next two stable releases of the kernel, surely they could give their customers that.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            So it seems all the low hanging optimisation fruit has been picked and now they are onto the small stuff - as an end user, this makes me happy!
            Maybe not all, but perhaps the more obvious ones, or the more accessible ones. S3TC, for example, should offer some substantial improvements as soon as that patent goes away. But yes, this is a great year for open-source drivers. Micro-optimizations are still very important, and they add up.

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Maybe some of these RadeonSI folks could help AMD get DC into shape. I don't want it rushed, but it should be in at least in the next two stable releases of the kernel, surely they could give their customers that.
            Considering the sheer size and complexity of DC, I think having more people working on it may only slow it down. I get the impression it's getting close to completion, and teaching 3rd party devs how to work with it could be a major loss of time. If these devs were around when it was first being worked on, then I think their help would've sped up development.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Maybe not all, but perhaps the more obvious ones, or the more accessible ones. S3TC, for example, should offer some substantial improvements as soon as that patent goes away. But yes, this is a great year for open-source drivers. Micro-optimizations are still very important, and they add up.

Considering the sheer size and complexity of DC, I think having more people working on it may only slow it down. I get the impression it's getting close to completion, and teaching 3rd party devs how to work with it could be a major loss of time. If these devs were around when it was first being worked on, then I think their help would've sped up development.
              I don't really get the impression that it's nearing completion though, the branches are hot and it hasn't been submitted.

Comment

I'm super happy to see RadeonSI performance taken so seriously by both AMD and Valve
                RadeonSI is indeed still behind NVidia's blob as far as cpu overhead is concerned.

Personally, I'll be satisfied if RadeonSI comes less than 10% behind NVidia.
                Any higher is welcomed of course, but I can live with a 10% hit considering all the other goodness AMD open source drivers bring (my personal favorite being gallium hud ).

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
                  Time for a nice GUI configuration tool
                  There is a open source one called Radeon-Profile and its daemon, however it would be nice for something more official to be supported like what NVIDIA cards get (except perhaps a better working one ).

Something like what Windows drivers have would be nice, even thought it can take a bit of getting use to it does work fine and is more noob friendly.

I hope sometime in the future they can expand on freesync support so it works with ANY game with or without vsync enabled. (atm it appears to be limited to select titles with vsync enabled, which hurts performance). Its better to have vsync off sometimes, a fps limiter is MUCH preferred for latency purposes (and no overhead).
                  Last edited by theriddick; 15 June 2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    Maybe some of these RadeonSI folks could help AMD get DC into shape.
                    dc is kernel code. though valve employs one amd kernel dev

Comment

Working...
                    X