Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.26.3 Released

Phoronix: Mir 0.26.3 Released

With Canonical divesting in Mir from the desktop and abandoning their mobile phone/tablet ambitions, we might not see Mir v1.0 ever reached as was anticipated to happen for the Ubuntu 17.10 cycle. However, Mir is still being maintained for IoT use-cases and today is a new point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does a spiffy display server help IoT use-cases? How many IoT devices need this, or display servers at all, for that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by lienmeat View Post
      Maybe I'm missing something, but how does a spiffy display server help IoT use-cases? How many IoT devices need this, or display servers at all, for that matter?
      IoT is just the most recent buzzword, don't expect any particular rationale. Person working in telecom industry is saying you this.

Comment

Originally posted by lienmeat View Post
        Well, you could consider that "IoT device" includes your in-car infotainment console (pretty useless without a display), medical devices of all kinds (howsabout a CAT scan with no picture of your brain?), and the smart mirror in your bathroom that displays the news and weather while you shave. What are you imagining an IoT device to be?

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

Well, you could consider that "IoT device" includes your in-car infotainment console (pretty useless without a display), medical devices of all kinds (howsabout a CAT scan with no picture of your brain?), and the smart mirror in your bathroom that displays the news and weather while you shave. What are you imagining an IoT device to be?
          Does Mir really live in any of those?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

Does Mir really live in any of those?
            Maybe not as of today, but that's not the real problem, 'cause Mir targets IoT, so who knows what the future... The real problem is that you could strip out the last four words from your phrase and you would obtain the real question

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Maybe not as of today, but that's not the real problem, 'cause Mir targets IoT, so who knows what the future... The real problem is that you could strip out the last four words from your phrase and you would obtain the real question
              Snark notwithstanding, Wayland has been used in IVI systems and Qt runs both on that and bare metal. Mir's future looks less promising than ever and If I was starting a new project of such kind, Mir wouldn't be exactly my top pick.

Comment

Still not clear after many years, if Mir has some significant advantages over Wayland even for IOT, other than Canonical tight control.
                Mir seem to be just a Mirage to screw up Ubuntu Touch or Unity faith
                Last edited by onicsis; 16 June 2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Canonical continues going in the down spiral. Mir...how many IoT use Mir..0? In the same time Wayland is used in numerous devices already, be it cars, TVs, fridges, etc. And there were people saying when Mir was presented: "Canonical, don't burn money, don't be stupid". Now I can't believe we are loosing Unity because if this debacle, yes I am happy Unity user, I admit it. In fact Unity is the only thing keeping me on Ubuntu. Very sad circumstances.

Comment

But why not Wayland? I mean: not to start a flamewar again or anything, but if Canonical is already switching to Wayland for desktop cases, then why not for IoT cases as well? What does Mir better than Wayland when it comes to IoT?

Comment

Working...
                    X