Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Is Now Built With PIE

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Is Now Built With PIE

The rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed distribution is now building its packages with PIE (Position Independent Executables) as the default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sounds like ffmpeg won't run anymore in Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      sounds like ffmpeg won't run anymore in Tumbleweed.
      Does it? It only means that PIE is enabled by default, but it might still be disabled for specific packages. The Android change mentioned on the Ubuntu thread was about the OS refusing to load non-PIE binaries, but that's a different thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
        Does it? It only means that PIE is enabled by default, but it might still be disabled for specific packages. The Android change mentioned on the Ubuntu thread was about the OS refusing to load non-PIE binaries, but that's a different thing.
        If it's disabled on select packages, then it's much less interesting than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          If it's disabled on select packages, then it's much less interesting than I thought.
          That's what the article and mail say:

While I am still fixing some stragglers where the default did not trigger,
          and subtracting the packages where PIE was too tricky currently (emacs,
          qemu, small number of others), I would estimate a 97% coverage at
          this time. An rpmlint check will be added.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
            That's what the article and mail say:
            Yeah I read it, I assumed that "subtracting" meant that the packages where PIE couldn't be enabled were not available. I can concede that it is not worded in a very clear way.

Maybe FFMpeg is available but with assembly optimizations disabled (so it is quite a bit slower).

Comment

All in the name of security and address space randomization. I hope they realize that when everything is position independent then malware also has it easier to inject code since it can move code around more freely. If this trade-off is worth anything is still questionable to me. The 2%-5% performance hit most code sees when compiled as PIE is however real.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                All in the name of security and address space randomization. I hope they realize that when everything is position independent then malware also has it easier to inject code since it can move code around more freely.
                Assuming that what you said is right (I don't think it is), then it still needs to guess where stuff he wants to relocate is.

Comment

Fiver

Comment

If im understanding correctly, this seems like the wrong solution to a common problem.

Sounds like trying a hammer on screws.

Comment

Working...
                    X