Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/Hurd 2017 Released, Supports More Than 3GiB Of Memory

Phoronix: Debian GNU/Hurd 2017 Released, Supports More Than 3GiB Of Memory

Not only is Debian 9.0 released as the main GNU/Linux OS, but also Debian GNU/Hurd is now out with a major release as their pairing of the GNU user-land with Hurd in place of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know they love the GPL, but Darwin and NextBSD already exist.

Comment

You mean that Minix already exist, because neither of those are microkernels like hurd. Maybe you can count Haiku if you count hybrid kernels

Comment

NextBSD is freebsd with modern unix ipc and init. Darwin is hybrid with Mach low level syscalls and memory management. Minix is great, try it.

haiku really isn't that interesting from a kernel point of view.

Comment

NextBSD does not exist. Hubbard have trolled all of us and then abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
            Minix is great, try it.
            Could you specify what's so great about it? I'd love to see where it's being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              where it's being used
              Infamous intel management engine is based on it apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Could you specify what's so great about it? I'd love to see where it's being used.
                I dunno where it is being used other than for hobby/research, however they take great pains to make the operating system self healing. It will recover from a number of critical faults due to the microkernel design. It's also fairly usable already unlike some systems.

Comment

More than 3GB RAM? Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    More than 3GB RAM? Very impressive.
                    it's a full-blown microkernel, Actually it's interesting project.

Dial down on automatic sarcasm and investigate the thing perhaps..?

Comment

Working...
                    X