Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 17.10-429170 vs. Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev: Open-Source Continues Strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 17.10-429170 vs. Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev: Open-Source Continues Strong

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 17.10-429170 vs. Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev: Open-Source Continues Strong

Last week AMD released an updated AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver with performance fixes so I've now carried out a fresh comparison of this updated 17.10-429170 driver compared to the latest open-source stack of Mesa 17.2-dev Git plus the Linux 4.12 development kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With this new driver claiming performance fixes, I was curious to see how it runs up against the older 17.10 driver releases. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of those older binaries archived and AMD seems to have dropped their archived drivers from the site.
    Fortunately, these guys seems archive any AMD driver releases, including these 10 (if i counted right) AMDGPU-PROs for Ubuntu

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index...e=26&v_code=37

Comment

Great results of the open source driver.

Comment

that certainly is a good set of results for the open driver!

Comment

With Xonotic, the RX 580 was faster on AMDGPU-PRO while the R9 Fury was faster with the open driver stack.
          Should be the other way around, from the graphs

Thank you for the comparison; it looks like RADV is catching up!

Comment

Gah, now we need to get open-source OpenCL sorted and we're good to go...

Comment

Man, in most of the tests Radeonsi kicked AMDGPU-PRO in the teeth, while it was down. Bravo AMD opensource team, bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Man, in most of the tests Radeonsi kicked AMDGPU-PRO in the teeth, while it was down. Bravo AMD opensource team, bravo.
                Sure, so why people will use the proprietary driver?

I'm not sure what is the best deal for a rolling distro: NVIDIA card + proprietary driver or AMD card + Mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Considering most of the code is directly from AMD it's not surprising.

Comment

Does the new Warhammer game not run on AMDGPU-PRO? I think you said you'd try if it runs.

Comment

Working...
                    X