Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSoC Work On Nouveau Instruction Scheduling Advances

Phoronix: GSoC Work On Nouveau Instruction Scheduling Advances

Student open-source developer Boyan Ding has been working this summer on an instruction scheduler for the Nouveau driver in order to achieve greater performance with more efficient shader code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@any nouveau developer: What happened to this? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...imegraph_intro

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post
      @any nouveau developer: What happened to this? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...imegraph_intro
      no clue

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post
        Perhaps you know this, but that would operate at a different level of granularity than the individual shader instructions with which this project is concerned.

Now, what I wonder is whether GSoC has done anything in support of AMD or Intel's open source GPU stacks (or vendor-independent projects around standards like OpenCL or HSA), or is there some Nvidia favoritism going on, here?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Now, what I wonder is whether GSoC has done anything in support of AMD or Intel's open source GPU stacks (or vendor-independent projects around standards like OpenCL or HSA), or is there some Nvidia favoritism going on, here?
          Well, GSoC has no bias towards Nvidia. We just never ever get project proposals for AMD, and rarely for Intel too. The GSoC is a good way to start learning and Nouveau is a community project, so it makes sense that most students decide to go work on Nouveau. At least this is my experience as both a newcomer and a GSoC mentor for Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by MuPuF View Post
            Well, GSoC has no bias towards Nvidia. We just never ever get project proposals for AMD, and rarely for Intel too.
            Thanks for replying. That's good to know.

It's just things like this and TensorFlow's support for Nvidia-only can give one a sense of some bias.

Comment

Mine was mainly benefiting AMD (MLAA), though it was in the general gallium layer and so also useful for nouveau, at the time nouveau wasn't in a very good shape, so AMD was in practice the only user.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                I suspect that it might have something to do with the fact that Intel and AMD have opensource driver devs, while noveau has only brave hackers venturing into the unknown against the huge NVIDIA monster that tries to stop them at any turn.

Comment

Working...
                X